General discussion

Windows XP won't load

Hello, I'm having a problem with Windows XP home edition. It will not go past the splash screen on a normal start up, when I try to go to the repair console I get to the blue screen that says " Windows Setup Setup is starting windows " and then it hangs here and lastly when I try to boot to safe mode it hangs at agp440.sys service. From what I can tell that is a video driver that I think is causing all of my problems. Once in a great while it will finally boot to the desktop but my video display is locked at 640 x 480 4bit color. I've removed all unnecessary pci cards and even tried a different video card but the result is still the same. If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful. Thanks....

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows XP won't load
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows XP won't load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What machine is this and

"Once in a great while it will finally boot to the desktop" sounds like the old BAD CAPS problem. More at link:

http://www.badcaps.net/ has pictures of what to look for and the history of the issue. If you read their forums you discover the symptoms. Your post has the symptom in it but you forgot to post the age, make, model of the machine.
Bob

- Collapse -
Machine info

Pentium(R) 4 1.7 GHz/ 400
Intel 845 Chipset
512 MB / 133 SDR RAM
80 GB Harddrive
16x DVD
12x8x32 CDRW
TNT2 M64 32 MB SDR graphics card
Microsoft (R) Windows XP Home Edition

So are you thinking maybe the mobo is bad?

- Collapse -
I think

The caps are bad. The i845 had dozens of bad cap machines at the office.

Just wondering. Now that I supplied a link to pictures, story and more, did you inspect your machine?
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info