Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows XP won't boot up

by gnakou / March 3, 2009 2:14 PM PST

Dell dimension 8200 windows XP won't boot up.It starts to boot up,then I get the blue screen with a quick error number on the top left of screen,some to do with registry error but too quick for me to read,then it goes back to the screen saying that an error occurred due to new software and or unexpected shut down.won't start on safe mode or to last time it ran ok or to windows normal start up.Tries to start but goes back to the same error blue screen and same screen to start again. Last time I shut down it hung up and would not shut down so I unplugged the power. Happened a couple of times before not shutting down so I had to unplug to turn it off but started ok after that. Just went to ATT U-verse before this crash. Running WindowsXP SP3,use CC cleaner before every shut down.Running ATT U-verse and CC cleaner on my Toshiba windows Vista home version laptop with no problems.Added some addons to my new ATT web page on my WindowsXP pc.Wonder if this may have caused the problem. I am stuck as I cannot do anything without windows starting up. Please help! Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP won't boot up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP won't boot up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If You Can't Start In "Normal" or Safe Mode ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 4, 2009 1:50 AM PST

..then the next step is to attempt to restore using "last Known Good Configuration.. Restart the computer and immediately start pressing the F8 key, once per second, till a selection screen loads. Use the up/down arrows to select "Last Known Good Configuration", then press the "Enter" key and follow the prompts to restart and restore your computer to an ealier time.

If that doesn't work, then perform a "repair" install of XP.. You'll need to the Windows XP disc to do that.. Do you have such? The procedures for performing such are in the link below:

http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Since Safe Mode and Last Known Good Config ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 4, 2009 2:24 AM PST

do not get you into Windows and you mentioned "a quick error number on the top left of screen,some to do with registry error but too quick for me to read" I am going to point you to a method for recovering from a corrupt registry.

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Now, that method does REQUIRE using the Recovery Console so normally it requires having your Installation CD. If you do not have it there is another method that requires having a floppy drive and using the installation disks that can be downloaded from Microsoft at this link -
How to obtain Windows XP Setup disks for a floppy boot installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

If you download the setup disk set BE SURE that you download the correct set for what you actually have installed.

If your system does not have a floppy drive but you have access to another system (a friend's or relative's) and they do have an XP installation disk (either Home or Pro and SP level isn't critical for this) you can also make a bootable BartPE CD from which you can easily perform what is required in the initial link for recovering from a corrupt registry. The link for BartPE is - http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Collapse -
No boot up due to registry file failure
by gnakou / March 4, 2009 5:28 AM PST

First, thank you Grif and Edward for your help.I have my original Dell operating system reinstallation disk but when I place it on my CDW drive, nothing happens. Computer still tries to boot up then goes to the blue screen with the following message:" Stop:C00000218 Registry file failure, Registry cannot read the file, SystemRoot\System32\config\software, it is corrupt, absent or not writable"(I was able to read most of it after several tries) Then it goes back to the screen where I can choose to reboot in safe mode or to previous mode when it worked or normal windows start up. No matter what I choose it does the same thing and brings me back to this screen.Since it won't boot up, I cannot do any down loads. I am using my laptop with windows vista at this time and I am now getting a little gun shy about downloading to this laptop. May be the description of the error will help. Thank you so much!

Collapse -
If The OS CD Won't Boot In The Drive, Check The BIOS
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 4, 2009 5:44 AM PST

It appears like you need to change the boot order in the BIOS setup settings.. Change the boot order so the CD/DVD drive boots first.. ONce that's done, placing the CD in the drive should allow you to boot from the disc and repair or reinstall as you choose.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
How do I clean or format my C drive
by gnakou / March 4, 2009 9:05 AM PST

I was able to get to the CD drive and reload . But when I try to repair it asks me for administrator password which I do not remember.When I do a new install it asks me to select a partition.Partition1 125mb <123 MB free(fat)C:partition2 152500MB <137796 free(ntfs) which I choose on my main drive ( I have two drives,my main drive is the one corrupted.Anyways I was able to boot up and start updating but i can only reboot from the disk cause when I go back and turn back on boot from hard drive, I keep getting errors and it won't reboot. I think I need to format my drive first before I reload a new copy but it won't give me the option to format the partitioned drive. How can I format my main drive. It did let me format my secondary drive and i am now loading to it but it is much smaller than my main drive and would like to load the new copy to that drive. Thanks you!

Collapse -
A Bootable CD Doesn't Require A Password
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 4, 2009 9:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Done
by gnakou / March 4, 2009 10:19 AM PST

Thank you so much, Grif and Edward, I got it! The link was very helpful.I was able to do a clean install on my secondary drive, drive D and when I was able to boot up, I went to "my computer" and selected my drive C ( my main drive or larger one) formatted it,shut down and did a clean install on my drive C following the instructions from the link you gave me. Went back to "my computer" and formatted my drive D (secondary). Now it is just a question of updating my windows and my software and drivers. Thank you so much!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?