General discussion

Windows XP Won't Boot.

Ok, So Windows XP will not boot up.

The system is a Dell 4300.

The HD itself is fine, I can put the HD into my other computer and it will boot up.

On the computer that it is in, it gets to just past the Dell Bios screen and then it goes all black with a blinking cursor in top left corner for about 5seconds.

It then goes to the windows, your computer has not booted properly how would you like to boot screen with the, safe mode / networking/cmd prmt, last known good config, or normally screen.

Any of those choices and the computer won't boot it just starts the cycle all over again.

I have already taken everything out of the MB or unplugged everything, cd-rom, etc. All that is running when I try to boot is the HD and video card.

Already reseated both the HD and VC, reseated the ram, I have taken out the MB battery for awhile to reset it as well.

Any ideas on what is wrong or how to fix it?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows XP Won't Boot.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows XP Won't Boot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
RE: starts the cycle all over again

While at the Advanced options (boot) screen try first selecting the "Disable auto restart on system failure" option. This may prevent the "starts the cycle all over again" problem.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

- Collapse -
No Boot to safe Mode ?

If you cannot even boot up in safe mode, you have somehow had your boot sector scrambled - Dell usually
includes a "Recovery" disk or program with their systems. I had a similar problem, and booted from the CD - Then ran CHKDSK from the repair console, and also FIXBOOT. It worked just fine.
Hope this helps.
FRED

- Collapse -
Corrupt or Missing file..

"While at the Advanced options (boot) screen try first selecting the "Disable auto restart on system failure" option. This may prevent the "starts the cycle all over again" problem."

This will display an error instead of auto restarting. It sounds like you have a corrupt or missing system file that is needed during bootup.

CNET Forums