Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP will not re-format

by BillR / March 28, 2004 11:31 AM PST

My Windows XP operating system is corrupted and it will not re-format. I tried System Restore to no avail. I tried System Recovery but it tells me that the user partion is gone and it can not re-create it. I tried to fake boot it and no help there either. I do not have a recovery disc. What can I do to re-install this Windows XP Home Version? Thanks, Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP will not re-format
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP will not re-format
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows XP will not re-format
by ronb / March 28, 2004 12:13 PM PST

I have a similar problem. IE shuts down with "run time error", or "encountered a problem, shutting down"
X P Home preinstalled
tried to update, still same problems.
No recovery disc came with this PC
I do have a XP home upgrade disc for my other computer, I also created rescue discs as instructed on this PC but have not used them.
Is there anyway to repair IE, without formatting and reinstall?
Sony Vaio Desk top
P-4 2.8
1024 MB PC-2700
XP Home edition.
Any suggestions please.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows XP will not re-format
by bunnyman / March 28, 2004 1:09 PM PST

NO, you have no choice here but to restore your system. Be SURE to back-up anything you want to save! (Documents, pictures, etc.)Then, get a set of restore Cds. Sony DOES sell them.Call them. They do not cost a lot. You'll need to do a COMPLETE restore to fix your issue.

Collapse -
by fp40ky / March 28, 2004 1:25 PM PST

I just this problem this week here the steps you can take. Shut down your computer then turn it back on press the <F12> key = boot menu provided ur computer is dell brand Or any brand just before it goes in windows xp. The you will see numbers 1.normal 2 C hard drive 3. IDE cd-rom device before you go down to the 3 insert the reinstall disk As long as you have the OEM version of xp you can reformat your hard drive w/o entering the product key.

When the windows xp setup is up and running after the agreement press <F8> to agree. Then press the <ESC> then it ask you series of questions answer them and then after windows xp is reinstalled a fresh copy of it (When reformatting your hard you will lose all your personal data stored on your so backup important files that you want on a floppy disk or use ur CD-RW to burn your data on to a cd-rom).

After OS is reinstalled you will have to reinstall all the device drivers, followed by your virus protection software and additional software you were using at that time.. Plan on spending a good 2 to 3 hrs to complete this process when all is complete your computer will be like new again..

These steps are very important to follow in the order or provided your still don't understand these simple steps. Contact your computer's Techinical Support team provided you are having any problems. They have proven to me to be an excellent resource to use in your situation

Collapse -
by Rollo / March 30, 2004 8:07 AM PST

Hi. Beg or Borrow a Windows 98, 98SE or ME bootable floppy-disk and boot your machine from the A: drive. Run FDISK.EXE and delete all partitions on your C: drive, then insert the WinXP CD-ROM in your CD drive, remove the floppy from A: drive, THEN YOU MUST REBOOT the computer! Your computer, if it's modern enough, will then boot from the WinXP CD and commence the installation process. This assumes you have the full version of WinXP, Home or Pro. Regards

Collapse -
by glb613 / March 30, 2004 9:50 AM PST

How old is your Sony? Most new models come with a recovery utility that allows you to restore (I'm not talking about system restore that comes with Windows) your system. You also have the option to create restore CDs to use if the hard drive option isn't available. Did you make the CDs? If not, you should be able to buy a set from the Sony web site.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows XP will not re-format
by Basket628 / March 30, 2004 11:12 AM PST

Do not need A Windows 98 boot disk to format can do it all by the Windows Xp cd delete all Partitions an format from that CD

Collapse -
Are responders reading the post?
by Tom Aikman / March 30, 2004 12:20 PM PST

The user does not have OS CD. Bummer.
As the forum God Proffitt says, "no OS CD is like getting a flat without a spare". Get a XP CD or recovery CD or re-install may not be possible.

Good Luck, Tom

Collapse -
Re:Are responders reading the post?
by Rollo / March 30, 2004 3:06 PM PST

Right. And nobody's yet stated the obvious, so I will. You can't format a partition using the operating system running in the same partition. It would be like carrying out surgery on yourself ... without anaesthetic.

Collapse -
by stu-eyris / March 30, 2004 6:56 PM PST

i know some one else said it but change the boot menu so that first is floppy second is cd-rom or dvd drive then your hard drive with xp on it

you need to get an xp cd from some where""

then put in cd-rom drive and during the boot process it should come up wiht a boot from cd-rom option at hte bottom of the screen

press enter and it will boot from the xp cd

fowolow the acepting licens pressing f8 etc

when it come to chousing partitions chouse your curent windows xp partition but chouse to install a frsh coppy of xp, this may format your drive, so i sugest that you get any files you need first!!!!!

continte with rest of instll.

alternitivley if u can get your files first format using the cd (this is one of the first 5 screens of the instilation) i strongley sugest starting afresh as this shold solve all software faults, remover vireses etc.

onece install has finished your system should work fine agian.

any proplems put another post

regards

stu

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?