Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Windows XP water droplet noise???

by ZeAtomik / October 29, 2013 9:19 AM PDT

My mom recently got a Dell Inspiron 6000; Windows XP, we've only had it for a few months and no problems so far.

Just the other day, randomly, a water droplet sort of sound has been playing. Sometimes is 1 drop and other times it's 2 to 3. It's usually every maybe, 10-15 minutes or so. It's driving me crazy and I've been researching and researching but no answers.

We don't have Pest Patrol and I don't have any background programs running that I know of that make this noise. The only way to turn it off is to mute the computer which is problematic because silence just isn't my thing. I've also ran a full system scan and it found nothing, I don't believe it's a virus anyway.

Willing to listen to any and all advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP water droplet noise???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP water droplet noise???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
That sounds like
by itsdigger / October 30, 2013 8:01 AM PDT

white noise or background sounds from a media player. The media player I use has a setting for Rain It plays in between tracks. Maybe check your start program and see what you have checked at start up ....Digger

Collapse -
excuse me
by itsdigger / October 30, 2013 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: That sounds like

it doesn't play in between tracks, it just plays when the music is paused

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Windows XP water droplet noise???
by skycatcher / October 29, 2013 10:18 AM PDT

As you can 'mute' the sound, it is obviously electrical and not mechanical. Try opening Task Manager (right click bottom tool-bar and choose same from menu), maximise it, choose 'Processes' tab and click top of CPU column (possibly twice) so that maximum CPU usage is at the top. Now be very patient (for 10-15 minutes), sit and look at what processes pop up at (or near) the top of the column.

You may just be lucky and see what it is - then you can either switch it off or disable it. I'm guessing it's just an annoying, but possibly harmless, bug of some sort. Or you may spot something straight away, from the list of running processes.

Have you run Malwarebytes - this often finds the odd bug that some AVs leave behind. Best of luck - and please let us all know what it is if you find it.

Collapse -
Further to that.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 10:27 AM PDT

Have you tried going to control panel sound schemes and checking no sounds.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
by ZeAtomik / October 30, 2013 7:51 AM PDT

Hmmmm, I watched it like a hawk and nothing really caught my eye besides the System Idle Process, other than that, FireFox is the highest thing.

Collapse -
Do you have.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Pest patrol or some other cookie cruncher? theae sometimes use this sound to indicate a cookie has been crunched.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
No
by ZeAtomik / October 31, 2013 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you have.

Not that I know of.

Collapse -
Have you...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 31, 2013 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: No

...tried ( I'm assuming it's IE ) resetting IE or running it with addons disabled?

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Nope
by ZeAtomik / November 1, 2013 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you...

because I don't use IE, only Firefox and Chrome. I've closed either or and as long as one of the window's open it'll make the noise.

Collapse -
Many causes. Too many.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: ...
Collapse -
I've been through that thread
by ZeAtomik / November 1, 2013 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Many causes. Too many.

Tried pretty much all of it and came up with nothing.

Collapse -
OK. I'm stumped.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 1, 2013 9:32 AM PDT

All I can offer now is. Do you have the restore media or a backup image to restore from?
Or try a system restore to before it happened.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Oddly enough...
by ZeAtomik / November 2, 2013 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: OK. I'm stumped.

After I restarted my computer, I noticed it wasn't making the noise anymore. I think it may have stopped sometime before then but I'm not complaining. Thanks for the suggestions anyways.

Collapse -
Did you search all of your PC for sound files?
by skycatcher / November 1, 2013 10:24 AM PDT

There must be some *.wav files somewhere on your machine.

Open Windows Explorer, right-click on Program Files and Search for *.wav - Now do the same with the Windows folder. Not sure where else wav files would be stored...

I never use them, all my sound schemes are turned off.

Collapse -
Answer
Let's say it's some app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2013 12:09 PM PDT

I see most of the usual is covered but let's take it up a notch. Beware we are going to the deep end so get out the water wings.

Go get HIJACKTHIS and produce a report.

Now my question to you is this. Do you know what every item in the report is?
And why not research each item?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Have you....
by btljooz / November 2, 2013 3:11 AM PDT

OK, just to rule some things out, have you run scans with UPDATED AV (which one?), Updated MBAM and Updated Spybot Search and Destroy??? If not, I strongly suggest that you do so in Safe Mode.

The fact that you can silence the sound by muting the volume says that there is a software - good or malicious - causing the problem. The $64,000 question is, "Which one?". Find that and either get into its settings to silence the sound or if you don't want/need the program get rid of it. Use Revo Uninstaller (Free version will suffice) in Advanced mode for this. It's a LOT more thorough than the native uninstaller in XP.

I hope this helps in some way. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.