Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Xp updates

by Subra / July 2, 2006 7:14 PM PDT

I am using windows xp professional.
My query is this.
Whenever the system crashes and I am forced to reinstall the OS and Sp2, I have to necessarily connect to the net and update all the latest critical updates, patches etc.,
This invariably results in a cumulative download of 200/ 300 Mb with a couple of restarts.
Is there a way to make a copy of these patches and SLIPSTREAM into a consolidated updated CD so that at the time of reinstallation you can get the system back to the latest downloaded updates ?
make a backup of all the updates in a seperate folder and ensure the updation takes place in the same sequence as the release of these updates?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Xp updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Xp updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, but it depends
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2006 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Xp updates

Firstly I would ask why your computer crashes so often, (if it is often), and why you feel it is necessary to re-install the OS everythime it crashes, rather than identifying the problem and solving it without having to resort to a re-install.

Perhaps these crashes are viruse/spyware related? If so, you could beef up your anti-malware defences and protect your system better. Bob Proffitt, another Moderator here, has produced this list;
of anti-malware products, all free, that would help. I would just add to that list the need for a stronger firewall rather than the Windows Firewall, such as ZoneAlarm, also free.

Also, I would ad Ewido AntiSpyware, a later product, from

That said, it is possible to slipstream your OS CD's with SP2 and other updates into another CD, but generally only if the OS on your computer is not an OEM version, (ie, supplied by the manufacturer).

Details for slipstreaming here;

There are methods for slipstreaming OEM versions, eg a Dell, as shown here;
The article says this should apply to any OEM OS, but I have no knowledge of that.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Reg virus and spyware
by Subra / July 5, 2006 9:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, but it depends

I should have phrased my question better.
My computer is free of any virus, spyware, trojans etc., etc., as I am using all possible antivirus, ad aware, spybot, spyware blaster etc.,

Basically I wanted to know if the patches and updates of WinXp get stored in any particular directory inside windows so that I can make a copy of it and save it for future installations if they become necessary. This would save the effort of downloading all the updates from the net especailly as the internet connection charges are pretty high in our country.

Collapse -
by jnbhoward / July 2, 2006 11:20 PM PDT

If you download the individual installers for each patch, then the process of integrating them into an installation CD should be a matter of changing a filename from slipstreaming SP2.

However, I also have to agree that the better solution seems to be pinning down the cause for the frequent crashes. In addition to what was suggested, I've got my own set of suggestions that keep for a very problem free system.

First, and probably most important, is avoiding using Internet Explorer, and any other program that uses Internet Explorer, as much as possible. Aside from IE itself, this would include Outlook and Outlook Express, and a number of IE based browsers like Maxathon. In its stead, using a non-IE based browser like Mozilla Firefox or Opera will kneecap all the websites that exploit IE to install some kind of malware on your system. Since IE is the primary source of unwanted malware, this move alone can go a very long ways to improving system stability.

Second, all file sharing programs should be eliminated. Most of the programs come bundled with malware, and most of the content on the networks is virus or malware laden.

Third, all pirated programs should be eliminated. You have no way of knowing if there are any other hidden payloads included with the security bypass modifications. It would be very easy to slip something in there.

I also normally suggest keeping on top of Windows updates, but you seem to be doing that already. This is the only exception I would recommend making to the no IE rule. If not visiting the Windows Update site, pretending IE doesn't even exist is the best policy.

Collapse -
A different suggestion
by eddie11013 / July 3, 2006 3:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Subra / July 5, 2006 9:15 PM PDT
In reply to: A different suggestion

Thanks for your advise.
I will defenitely download these patches from the site for future use.

But what I felt was that as these updates have already been downloaded and my system updated perhaps I could make a copy and save them in a different directory for another day when I may require them.

Collapse -
For slipstreaming and other stuff...
by zachm90 / July 6, 2006 12:50 AM PDT

I suggest you check out nLite, it allows the creation of slipstreamed os's, with a lot of other options:

dont be put off by the unattended stuff, you can choose to do that or not.

Also; for general purpose updates that can be slipstreamed, check out RyanVM Update Packs, these are packs that can easily be integrated into a install cd, and are updated monthly in step with MSs patch cycle:

Collapse -
To Subra
by Themisive / July 6, 2006 1:04 AM PDT

Yes in a way you (and Mike) are right, unfortunately they exist as uncompressed files, whereas the actual downloads are compressed. I have about 2/3 of the downloads already and will get the rest soon, then I'll be in a position to burn them to disk - NOT slipstreaming them - for future use. By the same token, my XP disk already has SP1 on it, and I have SP2 as a seperate disk.

I should be able to get them all onto one DVD R disk, so space will not be a problem - if yoiu haven't got a CD/DVD burner, I suggest you get one, they're not expensive and you can get the equivalent of 6.42 600Mb CD's on one 4.5Gb DVS!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?