General discussion

Windows XP Unregistered self?

Hi, I just downloaded a new driver for a graphics card in order to play an online game, and during installation recieved a warning that it was not certified by Microsoft. Trusting the good folks at Nvidia I proceeded, which now looks to have been a mistake.

When it was installed I restarted my computer as prompted, and when startup had just about finished, I got a prompt to Register this copy of Windows, as I had when I first turned on the computer a little over a year ago.

Okay, I figured, the driver screwed with Windows and I need to re-register. No sweat. However, the computer was unable to find an internet connection on my computer, so I needed to do it over the phone. After the tedious process of telling the machine the code, it was rejected. I tried again in case I had said a wrong number, same result.

So now I am faced with this dilema: My computer, although entirely intact(I conclude this based on the fact that I can see both my username on startup and my own background when it semi-logs in trying to register), thinks it is not registered with Microsoft. The registration code does not work, (I presume because I used it already when I first activated the computer), so I cannot log in. I am unable to run DOS or safemode or anything at all. That computer was the host of my home network so sparing internet access none of my other computers have that benefit anymore. To top it all off, I never backed up any of the files on that computer.

So I pose this question: What do I do?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows XP Unregistered self?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows XP Unregistered self?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Contact Microsoft Customer Service Representatives by phone

Read the phone numbers in the "For More Information" section form the following page.

They can be reached Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific time. However, if you bought your PC from a brand manufacturer, you should contact them first.

Good Luck,
Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
You need a human

Believe it or not, humans are available at MS to help reactivate. You will need your product ID. This is not a registration #. That is a different process as registration optional but activation is not. I cannot provide you with the MS # as this varies but find the Ph# and contact a human. After a few questions such as "Is this copy of XP only on one machine", you will be given a 50 character code that will work. Good luck.

CNET Forums

Forum Info