Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp trouble

im using windows xp proffesional when i load up my comp i get a blue screen saying ntfs.sys page_fault_in_nonpaged_area.

It wont let me load up windows the only way I can get on the comp is by going into safe mode and enabling boot logging. Any help please would be very grateful.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like it could be a hard drive error

In reply to: windows xp trouble

Collapse -
re windos xp

In reply to: Sounds like it could be a hard drive error

The reason this occurred was because system restore had vanished off my comp, i went on a forum and was told to use windows xp disc to repair it, i did this and when it rebooted i got the blue screen and couldnt do anything .

ive already reinstalled windows xp but the problem is still the same, will only boot up in safe mode boot logging.

Collapse -
Reinstall/reformat?

In reply to: re windos xp

Did you just reinstall Windows or did you reformat the hard drive before installing Windows again? If you didn't format and then install Windows, you might want to consider doing that.

Collapse -
formatting

In reply to: Reinstall/reformat?

just reinstalled windows.is it easy to reformat as ive never done it before.

Collapse -
Reboot with the XP CD in the drive

In reply to: formatting

and follow the instructions. Be sure you have everything required such as program installation disks, product key numbers and drivers.

Collapse -
Hard to say

In reply to: formatting

For a proficient computer user, it's relatively easy to format a hard disk - you've just got to be careful. Really I would treat it as a last resort, as it requires backing up everything you want to keep; a reformat will delete EVERYTHING from a hard drive.

Try glb613's suggestion first, to reinstall Windows. However, if this does not work again, you might want to consider reformatting, as it ensures you are creating a completely clean version of Windows. It could require a lot of work though, backing up files to put them back on the hard disk, reinstalling programs, updating Windows again.

Look at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941 for more help on reinstalling Windows XP. For the reformat and reinstall option, look down towards the bottom of the page to the section titled "Perform a clean install of Windows XP".

Make sure you are confident in what you are doing before beginning the process.

Good luck Happy

Collapse -
reformatting

In reply to: Hard to say

ok ive reformatted and evrything seems to be running smoothly, thanks for all your help guys Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad you've got everything sorted

In reply to: reformatting

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!