Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp too slow - but 99% idle

i have a mean machine already - 3GB of ram and a quad core running @ 2.6.

why does my program load so slow? For instance, it takes forever for my yahoo messenger to load up. My computer boot is so slow too.

Though not all apps are slow - for instance, google chrome is fast.

Though once my app are all already loaded, then things are picking up. I can have more than 15 applications running on my task bar and my machine would still be in very good performance.

But what's with the slow startup when 99% of my cpu time is idle?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp too slow - but 99% idle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp too slow - but 99% idle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too many startup files

In reply to: windows xp too slow - but 99% idle

The usual problem with a slow boot, (aside from malware, but you don't seem to be asking about that), is too many applications loading at startup.

Whether you have sufficient RAM or quad-core or whatever, if you have too many apps loading at startup the system is going to bog down. Everything is trying to load into RAM at once, besides the normal OS files, services and processes that are essential at startup, and the cpu is swapping in and out of too many things.

I would ask myself the question. Do I really need all these apps loaded immediately I start the computer? eg, I can start my browser myself. I can start any IM when I want. I don't need any Real Player software started, nor any other media players. They will start automatically whenever I want to play some file or other.

Keep the Startup file list to a minimum, ie, any Microsoft files, the firewall, the anti-virus and anti-spyware background scanners.

Mark

Collapse -
A few things you leave out...

How fast is the bus on your PC? How fast is the hard drive on your PC? These could well be bottlenecks on your machine.

While Google Chrome may be fast, it may also be a cached app that can load quickly because it is already in memory unlike other applications.

Collapse -
Formatting Hard Disk

Hi,
Did you 'Quick' formatted your hard disk .? If yes, reinstall OS and remember to format the machine in normal way and do not quick format. I had faced this issue couple of laptops and formatting the hard disk in normal way resolve the issue.
thnx
-Sandip

Collapse -
Windows XP very slow after idle -CPU 99% idle but still slow

It took ages to solve idle issue, but finally cracked it for my XP.

SOLUTION
for my issue:

Windows XP very slow after idle appears to be issue with pagefile system cache (PF Usage) taking up exessive I/O activity on the disk (writing to harddrives) due to highly fragmented pagefile.sys file. Hence no real CPU usage showing, and changing PF Usage levels may not have much effect as it is not the size of PF, it is the fragmentation of the PF (normal defragment tools do not touch this file).

There is no more slowdown after I did a defragment of pagefile.sys with a tool that can actually access it (PageDefrag v2.32 By Mark Russinovich). An even simpler solution may be to set computer to clear pagefile on shutdown (I didn't try this but probably works too - see below).

The high I/O was not from a rogue program or virus. It was slow buildup in pagefile.sys file fragmentation, the disk area storing current virtual memory blocks. My pagefile.sys had something like 264,000 fragments. Virtual memory is stored in 4KB blocks, but the fragmented block pattern was taking up excessive I/O for the drive to read after computer had been in idle.

During idle lots of application data is sent to pagefile rather than kept in RAM. Then when you start using applications again the computer is getting it back out of pagefile.sys: but if the pagefile.sys is highly fragmented then it can be painfully slow disk read speed. i.e. I sit there with almost nothing happening for 30 seconds, or watching webpages load almost one pixel line at a time.

I defragmented pagefile.sys, but maybe it is simpler to clear the file, something like:

Click Start >

Click Control Panel >

Click Administrative Tools >

Click Local Security Policy >

Click the "+" next to Local Policies >

Click Security Options >

Doubleclick "Shutdown: Clear Virtual Memory

OR

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). >

Change the data value of the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value in the following registry key to a value of 1: >

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management >

If the value does not exist, add the following value:

Value Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown >
Value Type: REG_DWORD >
Value: 1 >

Good luck!

References:

http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/XPMyths.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897426.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2007/11/27/too-much-cache.aspx

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.