Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Task Bar Changed

by katwi99 / April 23, 2004 1:41 AM PDT

I'm running Windows XP Home and seems like every other day something changes when I turn the machine on. Latest is the task bar - everything has gone to dropdown menu instead of on bar. ex: back and forward used to be on bar with arrows. Now only back bar with dropdown for all others. Same with refresh, favorites and stop. I want those to appear on task bar - not have to go through a dropdown menu.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Task Bar Changed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Task Bar Changed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows XP Task Bar Changed
by Cetin Denislam / April 23, 2004 7:09 AM PDT

Are you saying that the Button's Toolbar from Internet Explorer is missing ? In this case, what happens if you click View, Toolbars and check the Standard buttons ? Does it work ?

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows XP Task Bar Changed
by gabeg / April 23, 2004 7:31 AM PDT

No, it doesn't

Collapse -
Re:Windows XP Task Bar Changed
by ChuckT / April 23, 2004 10:27 AM PDT

I'm confused, where are you talking about? You mentioned the task bar, which is part of the desktop, and then you mention the back and forward, which makes me think you are talking about the Internet Explorer.

Assuming you mean the Internet Explorer (the net browser, or web window, or anything else you might call it) has 3 ah...er... button selections. You will see the 3 selections by right-clicking a blank area "somewhere up there" between buttons:
"Standard Buttons" "Address Bar" and "Links"
You can check on or off any of those three. (Depending upon some custom software, you may also have some other selections too.)

One other selection there is "Lock the Toolbar"
My guess is that you do not have "Lock the Toolbar" checked (activated) and thus you can move and drag around the three selections (Standard Buttons, Address Bar, and Links)

So, for the moment, having it NOT locked, drag around the button area (look for a "dotted delineation line along the left side of that area) and adjust it to where you want. You can drag then up and down, left and right, among themselves. Once you get them to the position you want, THEN LOCK the toolbars by right-clicking between the buttons, and checking ON the "Lock the Toolbars" selection.

That should do it. (Again, I am assuming you were having difficulty the floating around of the tool bars within Internet Explorer.

If not, then please elaborate. Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.