Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Startup Login

by DickyDum / November 21, 2006 7:33 AM PST

Running Windows XP SP2.
Since loading up a commercial program that incorrectly loaded and I had to completely remove,I now get the LOG IN screen appear,which never came up before. I am the only user and would like to get rid of the User Log In Screen. Is this possible?
Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Startup Login
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Startup Login
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TweakUI
by jackson dougless / November 21, 2006 8:09 AM PST

I'd suggest setting a password on the account, then using TweakUI (a free download) to set up an automatic login. Use Google if unsure on the details of how to do either part.

Collapse -
jackson douglas
by DickyDum / November 22, 2006 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: TweakUI

Thanks for info but I will hold off loading TweakUI for the time being.

Collapse -
jackson douglas
by DickyDum / November 26, 2006 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: TweakUI

Many thanks jackson, TweakUI did the trick. I did not have to set anything, just to set start up without any LOG IN.
Once again
Thanks for HELP.

Collapse -
Had a similar problem with winme or win98se, asked
by DarCLew2 / November 21, 2006 12:52 PM PST

man who supplied info. Said to click accept as a blank [enter or something similar]. Showed a few times and stopped with a blank password. DarCLew2

Collapse -
MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK could be the problem??
by bently / November 22, 2006 1:10 PM PST

Go to Control Panel, Add or Remove.
Check to see if you have " MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK".

It can be removed using "REMOVE" in the ADD or REMOVE feature in Control Panel.

I installed a new HP 4-in-one printer, and the HP software installed "MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK".

"MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK". changed my login to where I have to click on a LOGIN icon to get to my desktop.

Removing it, brought my boot back to normal.

However...when I remove "MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK". , my printer will not work properly, but that the only program that it affected on my computer.

Ben

Collapse -
DarClew2
by DickyDum / November 26, 2006 6:12 PM PST

I have never used the log-in system or entered any password. However I will certainly try a blank but I would have to delete my name to achieve this.
Many Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) DickyDum, Name is needed, Password is blank.
by DarCLew2 / November 26, 2006 9:53 PM PST
In reply to: DarClew2
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.