Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP starts to logs in then logs off

by woe_tilv-2100992213306107 / February 2, 2006 3:11 PM PST

Ok, I have Windows XP with SP2, and I normally have my computer set up with one user account so that it logs in straight away. I was working on it the other day and it randomly restarted, and came up with the classic user log on screen. i.e. where you must enter your username and password, not the one where it gives you a choice of user names. Also, before it loaded this screen, it flashed an unusual blue screen momentarily. I tried to log on using my username, and it started to log me on, made the traditional windows log on noise, but the dialog bow said logging out at the bottom, which is what it did moments later and I found myself back at the classic log on screen. I have tried several times to log on, I have restarted my computer, and I have started it in safe mode and it keeps doing the same thing.

I don't know what I can do apart from completly wiping and reinstalling windows.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP starts to logs in then logs off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP starts to logs in then logs off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usual is a "corrupt profile."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2006 3:15 PM PST

The usual fix for this is to login as the administrator, create a new account and begin moving into your new account.

Because a corrupt profile can do this, it is very important to have spare accounts.

Bob

Collapse -
No use...
by woe_tilv-2100992213306107 / February 2, 2006 3:29 PM PST

I just tried to log in as the administrator and it did the same thing...

Collapse -
Same problem...
by mp3_kid / February 25, 2008 9:52 AM PST
In reply to: XP

I get the same problem with my computer and I know a couple of people that have it too. I know that this thread is a bit old but still...
I tried your link....but Im not sure on what to choose. I would really like it if you could get specific solutions.
I have only 1 account but some solutions dont work or need me to be logged on my Windows...I cant log on...I tried everything. Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
We need to create a new account.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2008 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: No use...

Existing accounts may fail.

Collapse -
Logs in then off
by Limitless1 / March 3, 2008 11:56 PM PST

All acounts fail...

Collapse -
Looking above...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2008 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Logs in then off

I don't see the usual attempts at safe mode, etc.

Collapse -
Read this link then ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 4, 2008 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: Logs in then off

perform the recovery steps mentioned -
http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

The actual recovery steps begin a bit more than ha;fway down the page where it says:

Here is the solution to the logon - logoff issue in Windows XP.

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. ...

At first you may think that it doesn't apply to you but this is what generally works and reading the entire page shows how such can come about.

For future reference, you should start your own threads for assistance and reference OS, machine make and model, as well as what you have already tried. Posting to an old thread often fails to get responses as it appears to be a software "glitch" causing an old and closed thread to pop to the top.

Collapse -
" PC Logs on and then off again"
by Guardian_42 / July 3, 2008 3:23 AM PDT

Hi. The momentary blue screen u described may be caused by a virus. The only time i`ve ever come across this problem myself, was when I changed one of the settings on my computer, which meant that it had no page file. ( The page file is your computer`s virtual memory.) At the time, I had no choice but to re-install Windows XP, but there is a better solution, and that is to do a repair installation. Just follow the steps in the set-up as usual, but when u get to the right prompt, choose the `Repair Installation` option. This will replace all of your Windows system files, but will also preserve all of your programs and shortcuts. The downside is that u have to download Service Pack 3 from the Microsoft Windows Update site.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.