HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp starting problem

by jaspre150 / April 24, 2008 4:24 PM PDT

hi i have got winxp professional, p-4 3 ghz, 1 gb ram and 160 gb hdd.
well my problem is when my windows xp boots up...everything starts up except that the yahoo and msn messengers as well as the broadband connection dialin link doesnt works till like a minute or so after windows has got booted...it seems like the windows waits for something to load for about a minute and then after a minute the hard drive shows some activity and yahoo,msn and the broadband link comes up and i can only dial the link then...this 1 minute wait for the connection to be connected is really annoying me...from the task manager i c that 2 services imapi.exe,alg.exe and wmiserve.exe starts up after the freezing time of the windows and then net connection gets connected...if u want any more details i will let you know....help will be kindly appreciated in solving this problem...jess

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp starting problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp starting problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you mean: wmiprvse.exe?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 24, 2008 6:47 PM PDT

You said wmiserve.exe. Did you mean: wmiprvse..exe? Google did not find any process/service called wmiserve.exe

Those 3 processes, imapi.exe, alg.exe and wmipserve.exe are normal Windows processes. Google will tell you more. Imapi.exe is connected with CD burning. Wmiprvse.exe may be a virus if it is located elsewhere than C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

But nothing seems out of place there otherwise. Personally I would not have any messengers load on startup. Whilst they try to connect to the internet during the boot process I have found that they slow the startup times themselves.

Why not go for a faster startup without those, then just connect them when Windows is fully loaded?

Mark

Collapse -
by jaspre150 / April 25, 2008 6:53 AM PDT

hi well the problem is that when windows starts some processes start up and then it freezes for about a minute...the mouse and keyboard work but net cant be connected ..after that it again shows some activity after about a minute and then the dial up screen appears...i guess it might be some problem related to the adsl router through which net gets connected///

Collapse -
Then I would
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 8:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
by jaspre150 / April 26, 2008 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Then I would

hi im not using any dsl connection softwarre but im using this modem/router to connect to the internet Smart AX Mt-882 Modem ...well i have checked that i pulled out the lan cable from the modem and then started the windows and it started perfectly so i guess it has something to be with the modem detection or something...also im not running any antivirus or any firewall except for windows firewall

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.