Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Windows XP SP3 Will Not Connect To Wireless Network

So this is a bit of an interesting one. I recently replaced the modem and router combination at my parents house with theTP-LINK modem. I have set this up successfully using WPA-PSK2 key and my android phone, my mum's laptop, my sister's android phone and my dad's blackberry can all connect to the network with no issues.

The problem arises when I try and connect my Dad's Windows XP laptop to the network. It is running SP3 and can see the network with great strength but when I enter the key and connect it just refreshes the network list and then shows the network which I try and connect to again but a dialog just pops up saying Windows is trying to connect to this network.

I originally thought the issue was with the WPA-PSK2 security setting so I took his laptop to my house to test and tried connecting to my D-Link router-modem which has WPA-PSK2 security as well and it connected straight away with no problems.

This now makes me believe through the process of elimination that the issue is with the network and the router at my parents house. I have tried redoing setup multiple times with no luck.

I am looking for some help with this issue as it is driving me nuts.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP SP3 Will Not Connect To Wireless Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP SP3 Will Not Connect To Wireless Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
TRUE!

In reply to: Windows XP SP3 Will Not Connect To Wireless Network

It's been a few months but we reloaded XP (the one without SP1,2,3) and then hooked up via Ethernet to get all the updates to Windows. Yes we had all the Dell drivers and Dell's QuickSet (too many didn't know about that!) but no WPA2.

What was it? The network wifi driver didn't support WPA2. So that was that.

OK you say it connected at your WPA2?

There are other reasons such as someone blocking MAC addresses and more. Be sure to have Windows forget ALL prior WiFi connections.
Bob

Collapse -
ping halt after configing modem but before is ok

In reply to: TRUE!

this laptop can connect via other ADSL modems to internet but just with this TP_LINK modem it can not have internet
in fact it now connect to wireless network "excellent" or "very good" but doesn't have internet !
I ping modem as ping 192.168.1.1 -t then
I found when I reset modem and return it to factory setting (from another laptop) , before establishing internet , I could ping 192.168.1.1 and it has reply
but just when I config modem for internet ping go to "request timed out" state and stop reply !!!

Collapse -
Let's check a basic thing.

In reply to: ping halt after configing modem but before is ok

What channel is the router on?

Collapse -
i test it

In reply to: Let's check a basic thing.

default is united states > auto
i test channels for 1,6,11 but had no effect

Collapse -
Next step.

In reply to: i test it

Is the router firmware current?

I know this is asking a lot but I can't check it for you since I don't see details like this in the post.

Just so you know, over the years I've run into a few routers that don't work with some device. Very annoying and we swap out the router.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Forgot a thing.

In reply to: Next step.

Many routers do a WPA/WPA2 mixed mode. So folk can get set up to believe it's OK on that other router...

Try pulling the router back to 802.11g mode too.
Bob

Collapse -
mix mode

In reply to: PS. Forgot a thing.

thank you Bob
thanks a lot that try helping me

my modem config was as below :
Authentication Type > WPA2-PSK
Encryption > TKIP/AES
I changed it to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK ,save, disable-enable connection but didn't work

for "wireless mode" mine was "802.11b+g" , I changed it to 802.11g , save, turn off and on modem and try again but didn't work

all of these things are going on while in Dad's laptop ping -t command is running and I make changes from my laptop which is connected to "same TP_LINK modem " ,

1 day before I open this topic , just for several minutes connection go OK and Dad's laptop could connect to internet but while I reconfiged it with SSID password but connection was unsecure , when it connect I found it's not secure , so I changed SSID password from a PC that get connection with cable from this modem and since changing password it's disconnect until now Sad

these days I just found when Modem reset while it doesn't config It could reply to laptop's ping and when I set it's internet , then it couldn't reply to ping command
all of these is when all of other devices get internet from same modem truly

I'm confused Confused

Collapse -
firmware

In reply to: Next step.

Collapse -
Time to check if the other router is in WPA/WPA2 mode

In reply to: firmware

We have other modes to try too. While WPA isn't secure it's usually secure enough.
Bob

Collapse -
autentication mode

In reply to: Time to check if the other router is in WPA/WPA2 mode

Collapse -
You do know that mixed modes do fail.

In reply to: autentication mode

Try WPA or WPA2 alone. The pop down looks to me the mixed mode that some systems and drivers don't cope with.

Collapse -
alone

In reply to: You do know that mixed modes do fail.

I select WPA alone , then my own laptop disconnect too !
I login with cable and change it to WPA2 alone , I connect but mu Dad doesn't

Collapse -
When you change these....

In reply to: alone

I find I have to have Windows forget the network and make a new connection.

Collapse -
unsecure connection

In reply to: When you change these....

Bob !
after disabling authentication mode I restart Dad's laptop and now it has internet !!!
but it's unsecure really

I have try new connection before , In wireless network connection > wireless networks tab > I add access point manually but with authentication it didn't work

even i check other preffered networks for them authentication mode and ...
oh something !
let try again once more
change config to other preferred etworks authentication mode again

will say what would happen

Collapse -
other router

In reply to: autentication mode

this laptop in other wireless networks work truly and connect to about 4-5 wireless modems good and get internet

just with this modem it has problem
of course with this router it can connect via cable , just can't connect wireless

as brief
this laptop connect to all of other wireless modems
all of other tools connect to this modem
!!!

Collapse -
disable

In reply to: Time to check if the other router is in WPA/WPA2 mode

at the end I disable authentication ! and now have an unsecure connection

Oh my GOD!
modem reply to Dad's ping wonderfully but doesn't have internet !!!

Collapse -
I can't tell if you removed the old connections on changes

In reply to: disable

But you will run into the occasional machine that won't connect.

Here I think you may be missing a basic item like forgetting the network, making a new connection.

There's also that XP thing "NETSH RESET" (see the web.)

Collapse -
unsecure connection

In reply to: TRUE!

Bob !
after disabling authentication mode I restart Dad's laptop and now it has internet !!!
but it's unsecure really

I have try new connection before , In wireless network connection > wireless networks tab > I add access point manually but with authentication it didn't work

even i check other preffered networks for them authentication mode and ...
oh something !
let try again once more
change config to other preferred etworks authentication mode again

will say what would happen

Collapse -
Again.

In reply to: unsecure connection

Do not CHANGE config on Windows. DELETE the old, make a new one. That old issue has been around since 2000.

Collapse -
what should I do now?

In reply to: Again.

see Bob
please tell me what should I do now?
in xp a wireless network connection is that can not delete it (delete item on right menu is disabled )
insist of it in it's properties and in "wireless networks" tab I can add and remove preffered network
do you mean it?

Collapse -
Time to hit the web.

In reply to: what should I do now?

There is native Windows wifi deletion and then you might have that Intel WiFi tool. Only you can know but how to forget WiFi in Windows is on the web. That's why I didn't expand on that.
Bob

Collapse -
other preffered networks

In reply to: unsecure connection

I saw one of other preffered networks (that connected good) on Dad's laptop was set to > WAP/ encryption:TIKP
and another was WAP2/ encryption:AESS
I config modem like them ,
in WAP>TIKP my connecion (win 7) faild too , but can access modem config page wireless
in WAP2>AESS both laptops faild and can not access modem config page wireless !

no Bob ! what do you mean ? there isn't any basic item
before I had tried any form of ip address setting / flushdns/ win sock reset
no one worked

Collapse -
With each versions Windows

In reply to: other preffered networks

There is another way to forget WiFi networks. That's on the web so I'll skip duplication here. If you edit a connection in Windows, for some reason over the years, it doesn't always work. Forgetting all WiFi networks seems to work around this.
Bob

Collapse -
I will search

In reply to: With each versions Windows

ok
I will search and test what you say ,
as I explain in last post I remove it but search again to find what you say

thank you
I will tell you what happened tomorrow
bye for now

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!