Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP SP2 Problems & Issues

by wynelldj / December 17, 2004 4:54 AM PST

My problems with XP Pro SP2 have ocurred at 2 different stages. The 1st. being before I upgraded my hardware, and the 2nd. set of issues ocurred after the upgrade. I was originally running XP Pro with SP1 installed until about 2 months ago. The system was configured as follows: FIC AU-13 motherboard (Nvidia NForce2 chipset), AMD AThlon 2500XP (the one with the Barton Chipset), 512MB DDR2700 RAM, 2 Samung 40GB HDD, Nvidia FX5600 256MB AGP 8x, Hercules Game Theater XP 7.1 sound system, Pinnacle DC10 Plus Video Capture Card, Sony Cu-12 CdROM, ARTEC 52x12x52 CDRW. The system ran fine until about a week ago, when it started shutting down on it's own. I troubleshot this down the power supply and promptly changed it out for 350W one. I later discovered issue with motherboard and that's when I upgraded.

I'm now running a Gigabyte K8N Pro w/Nvidia NForce3 250 chipset, and an AMD Athlon64 3000 CPU, all other hardware is the same as before. I did a clean install of XP Pro including a reformat of the drive in NTFS as it was before. I then loaded the drivers for the motherboard from the CD it came with, and downloaded the latest drivers from OEM's of my other hardware. I then ran Auto-update and installed SP2...this is where the fun begins. While trying install EA Sports Madden 2004, and other random times I get a blue-screen stating: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. I have checked Microsoft's website, and turned of BIOS caching, and all BIOS enable hardware alarms, but it still crashes at random with the same message. The Online Crash Analysis suggest a graphics card driver error, but the drivers are the latest and MS signed. I was wondering if I should uninstall SP2 and go back to SP1, or are there other resolutions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP SP2 Problems & Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP SP2 Problems & Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you bump up the power supply too?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 5:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Power Supply
by wynelldj / December 18, 2004 3:33 PM PST

I upgraded to a 350W power supply. I checked Gigabyte's website, and their specifications call for 350W and above. None of the additional cards I have installed require power from the supply directly, just as a side note. I tried to install EA Sports NHL 2003, and received the same blue screen and error message: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.

I'm really stumped on this one, because as I stated before this didn't happen until the new install and hardware upgrade.

Collapse -
"Stop" error.
by Cursorcowboy / December 18, 2004 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: Power Supply

"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" are frequently caused by one of the following conditions:

? You are running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, you are overclocking the processor or bus.

? Noisy power, overstressed power strips, outmatched power supplies and failing power supplies can destabilize your computer. Make sure that you have a stable, reliable power supply to your computer.

? Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans may damage your computer. Make sure that your cooling devices are all working.

? You have damaged memory or memory that is not the correct type for your computer. If you recently changed the memory configuration, revert to the previous configuration to determine what is wrong. Make sure that you are using the correct memory for your computer.

Collapse -
I'd never fir such a small supply today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2004 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: Power Supply

The CPU alone is close to 100 Watts. And that 350 Watt has a slim chance of delivering 350 Watts or even being stable at this load.

"THG continues to receive hundreds of e-mails regarding the causes of sudden and sometimes frequent "crashes" of users' computers and computer systems. As these computer crashes are random and unpredictable, users are losing important data and other critical information as a result. These issues of "stability" can cost hours of use time while the system is continued to be tinkered with in vain in an effort to resolve the issue. "
- http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/

You selected the minimum accepted value and may get to learn this lesson again.

I'm not saying this will cure your issues, but as long as you have such a small PSU, it remains a suspect.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
PSU
by wynelldj / December 19, 2004 12:23 PM PST

I upgraded to a 420W power supply, and I'm still having the same issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.