Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP SP2 and SP3 internet restrictions user wise?

by mohammad_tns / May 15, 2010 7:46 AM PDT

Dear All: "How to put restrictions on internet access (not browser access), user wise on Windows XP sp2 and sp3?"

I need some users to have internet access and some users not to have any internet access, but I want them all to have browser access (so that they can practice, JavaScript, HTML coding, etc..)

I just want to be able to know how to deny internet access (not browser access) to some users and allow others to be able to have internet and browser access on Windows XP SP2 and SP3

If someone could knidly help me in this regard, I would be a great help...(Thanks! in advance)
Best wishes...
----------------------------------------------

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP SP2 and SP3 internet restrictions user wise?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP SP2 and SP3 internet restrictions user wise?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good luck with that

Good luck with that. Windows isn't really set up for that sort of thing. If you use a non-IE browser, you can probably set per-user settings as far as a proxy server goes, but you'd likely then face the challenge of preventing the users from simply changing that.

Even the various Unix style operating systems would have difficulty doing this, though at least there you could probably play around with permissions for the network device to kind of cobble something together. On Windows, I suspect you're likely going to be looking at expensive software.

Now, if you don't have control over the individual systems, but do control the network gateway, things get a bit easier. Just make everyone login to use the Internet, and then you can restrict things based on that. Some accounts will allow access to the Internet, others won't. If you don't even have control of the network gateway, then you're pretty much screwed short of physically removing the network cable from the systems you do not want to access the Internet.

Collapse -
Please advice...clearly...
by mohammad_tns / May 15, 2010 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Good luck with that

First of all thanks for the reply....

now you said that there are browsers that have user account... tell me more... can the browser have many users and password protected accounts?

second you said that make people login to their accounts for internet access... how?

I already have several users on my PC all have access to the internet... I want some to have internet and some to not...

please reply and give me advice..

Collapse -
At this point
by Jimmy Greystone / May 15, 2010 8:58 AM PDT

At this point, it's pretty clear you lack the necessary skill to do this, and it would be no small undertaking to help elevate you to that level. So either pay someone to set this up for you, or accept that it cannot be done. It's beyond the scope of what is reasonable to expect can be accomplished on a forum like this.

Collapse -
thnaks ... but no thanks!
by mohammad_tns / May 15, 2010 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: At this point

why dont you just say that you dont know...

I asked very simple questions...

1- the name of the browser that does what you said...

2- secondly i'd rather stick to Windows...

bye!

Collapse -
Because
by Jimmy Greystone / May 15, 2010 10:56 AM PDT

Because it wouldn't matter what I said. You do not have anything even approaching the level of skill necessary. This would be like a first year med student performing complex brain surgery. The amount of time and effort it would take to bring you up to the level where you may be able to handle this is more than I think anyone is willing to take on in a volunteer capacity. We are seriously talking probably 3-5 years of intensive study to get you to a point where you would have the skills to wrap your head around the many complexities of this problem, and have some hope of devising a solution. It might be even longer due to the fact that there is a language barrier. Your english is quite good, and I do commend you on that, but it's also quite clear it's not your native tongue. That's more time than I'm willing to invest, and I suspect anyone else you may meet. It

Put an ad on Craigslist or in a local paper, and be willing to pay for someone with the expertise to do this. Otherwise, just assume it's impossible and move on. You can wish and make demands all you like, but the fact remains that you simply do not have the skills necessary. If you aren't even capable of understanding what I said in my first post, it would be like trying to explain a complex calculus problem to someone who just learned basic arithmetic.

Also, word to the wise... Getting snippy with people who might be able to help you... Not the most well thought out course of action. At least wait until AFTER they've helped you.

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice...
by mohammad_tns / May 15, 2010 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Because

I am now looking into parental control software...

I found this Internet Lock 5.3 from TopLang

I think this might be of help...

any thoughts... please commnent

Collapse -
dear I dont want to help...
by mohammad_tns / May 15, 2010 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Because

If you dont want to help... dont make excuses...
just say clearly sorry i am unable to give you advice...

dont just boast about your knowledge... it shows shallowness

dont get angry at me ... after all these forums are for helping each other...

dont think of my replies as flaming... dude you need to lighten up!

by the way this other person in the same forum gave me good advice... regarding the use of certain (NAMED) software...

take care

Collapse -
Maybe that's not the right question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2010 1:56 PM PDT

Maybe you should look at PARENTAL CONTROLS FOR WINDOWS?

K9 might be a start. Link only -> http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

I'm sure there are other PARENTAL CONTROLS out there.
Bob

Collapse -
sorry posted it to the wrong guy..
by mohammad_tns / May 16, 2010 12:05 AM PDT

Thanks for the advice...

I am now looking into parental control software...

I found this Internet Lock 5.3 from TopLang

I think this might be of help...

any thoughts... please commnent

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 12:32 AM PDT

I have had no need for such as these usually cause more troubles than less. But I'm sure there is a need for such. Even I use the parental controls on our router but mostly it's killing off the bad sites.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?