Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Sound Card Problems

by jcgowin21 / July 31, 2005 5:08 PM PDT

I just received this computer from my mother, it has been in a closet for about 1 year and the sound card worked. My dad got it out and updated it to windows XP and now it says it doesn't have a sound card. Does anyone know what the problem is? I can't play cd rom games or listen to any regular cd's. Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Sound Card Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Sound Card Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More Info
by jcgowin21 / July 31, 2005 6:00 PM PDT

I also do not know what kind of computer it is, all it says is micom System on the front of it. I also get a message saying there is no multimedia devices. I ran Direct X and it says my sound device is Modem #0 line playback (emulated), but next to it it has no info on a driver. I don't understand it all worked fine before. How do I find out if it has a soundcard, and how would i remove it? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Modem/Soundcard
by Stan Chambers / August 1, 2005 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: More Info

I recently encountered a combination modem/soundcard in an older machine. I took it out of the computer and wrote down all the names and numbers on it.
Googled until I found the drivers.
This is a good site to find drivers for older hardware.
http://www.driverguide.com/

Best of Luck

Collapse -
"My dad got it out and updated it to windows XP"
by glb613 / July 31, 2005 7:46 PM PDT

Had your Dad prepared the computer properly before installiing XP, this might not be a problem. XP isn't compatible with all computer hardware or configurations. XP also doesn't install the drivers needed for the hardware to work.

You need drivers for the hardware to work properly. Do you know what type of sound card installed? Until you get the drivers for the sound card, it won't work. Unfortunately, when a computer doesn't recognize a hardware device, neither do programs like Belarc. You may need to open the case and see what sound device is installed. Once you know that information, go online and search for the drivers needed.

The other option is the use the restore/recovery CDs that came with the computer. Depending on the computer, they can have not only the operating system but the drivers and factory installed software as well.

Collapse -
Not sure about computer?
by jcgowin21 / August 1, 2005 2:34 PM PDT

thanks for everyone's advice, but I don't even know what kind of computer it is, or what type of sound card it has. You told me to take it out and i will know, but how do you do that? I'm afraid i might mess my computer up. Any advice on how to do that would be helpful also. Thanks everyone!!!!

Collapse -
Sound Card
by phantazy / August 1, 2005 4:43 PM PDT

It is not evident so far that you have a sound card. Look for audio devices in 'Device Manager'. A lot of older computers have sound incorporated with drivers in the motherboard. If you have a card you should see plug ins at the rear of the computer to attach speakers etc.

Collapse -
No Audio Device
by jcgowin21 / August 1, 2005 6:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Sound Card

When I look in Audio Devices, It says I do not have an audio device, But I do have plug ins for speakers, therefore I have a sound card right?

Collapse -
Did your dad install the motherboard drivers correctly?
by Adi / August 1, 2005 6:35 PM PDT
In reply to: No Audio Device

Are the speaker ports on the same plate as the other ports like USB, parallel, serial, PS/2 ports, or are they on a separate strip nearer the bottom of the computer?

If the first option is true, then your sound card is integrated into the motherboard, and if the drivers were not installed correctly, then that could well be why the computer cannot "see" the audio device. You could try reinstalling the motherboard drivers.

If the latter option is true, then you have a separate audio card. You might not have to remove anything to find out what it is - just take the side off your computer case, and look at the corresponding card for the holes on the back of your PC. There should be some form of identification on the card, usually on a chip of some sort, which will tell you the model of the card. Then try Googling that model code, or visit the manufacturer's website.

Hope this helps,
Adi

Collapse -
Motherboard Drivers
by jcgowin21 / August 2, 2005 4:49 AM PDT

Yes, the speaker ports are on the same plate as all the other things. So how would I go about fixing the motherboard drivers?

Collapse -
Repairing mobo drivers
by Adi / August 4, 2005 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard Drivers

Sorry, I thought someone else would have replied to this for you by now!

First you need to find out what the motherboard manufacturer is. Opening the case and looking at the motherboard should be able to answer this - the manufacturer is usually identified at least once on the motherboard.

Once you have this information, go to that manufacturer's website. You can Google for it if you can't guess the address. Then go to the Downloads or Support section, and find the drivers for your motherboard. If you can download the audio drivers on their own, then you could try that, otherwise download the whole bundle. Then, install. I'm pretty sure the new, more up-to-date drivers will overwrite the old ones.

Then hopefully all should be well!

Good luck,
Adi

Collapse -
You won't be able to identify it
by glb613 / August 1, 2005 8:01 PM PDT
In reply to: No Audio Device

through the device manager because, it isn't installed. And the catch? You computer won't recognize it until you install the drivers. Chances are, you don't have a separate card but rather it's integrated on the motherboard.

You need to open the case and look inside. My advice, buy a sound card and install it. It is easy to do, doesn't cost much money and will solve the problem. If your computer skills are not good, retail stores like Best Buy and Circuit City will install it for a fee.

Once you get everything installed and working properly, download and run Belarc then print out the results. It identifies everything installed on the computer. Put the printout and CDs required to run the computer in a safe place and don't loose them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!