HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP, Sonic DLA & Roxio software with CD-RW

by Chris Sharpe / September 26, 2004 4:59 AM PDT

I know this subject has been broached before - and I have attempted many of the helpful solutions propsed previously - but I would like to ask for more guidance if possible.

I just purchased a new Tochiba Tecra A2-336 notebook with Windows XP Pro preinstalled and am trying to configure it to carry out all the tasks I currently execute on my old Pentium II desktop which runs Windows 98 2nd Edition. Unfortuntely, this is far from easy. My main problem is getting the new notebook to do most of things I used to dd with CD-RWs - especially backup and copying files to other PCs.

On my old PC I use Adaptec DirectCD to format and work with CD-RWs and it has worked just fine for me over the years. I also use Adaptec Easy CD Cretor 4.0 for making bird song (I work with bird sounds) and music CDs. The CDs are readable in all the other PCs I work with and I can edit them as I wish. No problems there.

My new notebook comes with some kind of XP software for CD-Rs and RWs (Roxio produced?) as well as Sonic DLA which is supposed to do what DirectCD does - i.e. use packet writing to give me drive letter access and enable drag-and-drop. Windows XP could read CDs formatted in my old machine, so I was able to copy all my documents to my new machine, but it couldn't edit the CDs. Hence I reformatted them under Windows XP(with Sonic DLA or what?) and both machines could then edit and read the same CD-RWs. File format was CDUDFRW (UDF Reader compatible). However, since installing Roxio (ex-Adaptec) easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum (minus DirectCD to avoid conflict), Sonic DLA seems to have become disabled and the CD-RWs I had burned are now illegible on the same drive, and Windows XP now formats in CDFS file format.

Since I need reliable CD-RW for backups and really need to edit the CD-RWs, what should I do?:

a) remove Sonic DLA and install Roxio DirectCD for drag-and-drop and CD-RW editing, despite the negative reports about DirectCD on these pages and other sites).

b) remove all Roxio software. In this case, will Sonic DLA revert to it's old capabilities - i.e. packet writing, drag-and-drop - or would I need to reinstall it? If did this, I'd have to forgo use of Easy CD Creator, which I like.

c) install other software to do CD-RW formatting and management - some have suggested CloneCD.

d) simply restore to my pre-Rozio version and try everything again.

It frustrates me that a hardware up-grade should mean reduced functionality. I obviously want to avoid having half a dozen different programs to do the same job. I'm looking for simplicity and reliability (as I had on my old machine). Should I simpy be content to re-write whole CD-RWs in order to delete a single file (this takes a LOT longer than my old DirectCD)?

I would be most rateful for any comments.

Chris.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP, Sonic DLA & Roxio software with CD-RW
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP, Sonic DLA & Roxio software with CD-RW
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Liht reading.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 5:04 AM PDT

But, in short, there is no guarantee that an InCD will be readable on an XP machine, or a machine with DirectCD. This issue of UDF compatibility is why, at the office we never install or use it.

Here's the article you should read -> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

In closing, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL OLD VERSIONS OF Nero or Roxio since many get to reinstall the OS afterwards.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Windows XP, Sonic DLA & Roxio software with CD-RW
by Brandon Eng / September 26, 2004 2:55 PM PDT

Just my 2 cents:My new notebook comes with some kind of XP software for CD-Rs and RWs I'm assuming you're referring to XP's (cheesy) built-in burning program. Disable it by typeing services.msc in the RUN box from your start menu then hit enter key. The SERVICES window will open, scroll down to Imapi CD-Burning, right click properties, and in the drop down box in the middle, select "disabled". If there's a "stop" button in the upper left click that also to totally stop the XP burning service. I say this because I've found when this is enabled, it can interfere with 3rd party burning programs.

Personally, I don't like Roxio for XP. I find Nero very stable on my XP Pro system, and it works very well with DLA, which came with my Sony DVD burner.

I've also found that the order of installation of certain programs can affect its functionality. If the DLA software came with your system/burner I'd reinstall the burning sofware first, then the Roxio, minus the DirectCD. I used to like Roxio with Win 98, but it became such a headache to make it to work when I upgraded burners- which was fairly often. I then switched to Nero, and find no conflicts in XP, and I have about 4 different burning programs, but use only DLA for packet writing.

I just tested the readability of a DLA formatted RW disc from my system on my daughter's XP computer, and the disc could be read (from her burner drive only); she has Nero installed on her system w/InCd as the packet writing program.

I personally liked Roxio better than Nero- when it worked. I've just found it too flaky on any OS. If you have a DVD-RW drive, I would absolutely recommend getting rid of Roxio entirely. Every single person I know that has a DVD burner has junked Roxio when they upgraded to a DVD burner.

If you elect to get rid of Roxio entirely, I'd google "manual uninstall of Roxio XP"- there may be some errant files in your system folder and registry that could further ball things up.

I didn't know CloneCD had formatting capabilities.

Just for the heck of it, go into Device Manager, and make sure your burner is set to DMA; I've seen strange things happen when the burner is set to PIO mode. Good luck.

Collapse -
by Chris Sharpe / September 30, 2004 6:18 AM PDT

Dear Bob & Brandon

I thank you for kindly spending your time to reply. I have thoroughly read the document Bob recommended - actually I'd already come across it - and it is very helpful. It suggests Sonic DLA as a packet writing software for XP - this came preinstalled with my notebook. Is Sonic DLA a good idea or is ALL packet writing software unreliable, because packet writing itself is unreliable?

If I want to packet write again, my problem is that since I installed Easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum (minus Easy Cd Creator), XP can no longer read the CD-RWs it formatted and burned before CD Creator installation. So Sonic DLA (or the Windows XP packet writing software - I don't know which) seems to have become disabled and the CD-RWs I had burned are now illegible on the same drive.

I think I'll have to accept that I can only do the things I want on my old machine running Windows 98. Unfortunately, XP is just too problematic. I see from the number of emails and information on this issue at other sites that this problem is common. As XP is standard and Roxio software is popular, surely Roxio and / or Windows will come up with some sort of fix?

Right, I'll try Brandon's detailed suggestions - many thanks.

Chris.

Collapse -
by Brandon Eng / September 30, 2004 9:59 AM PDT
is ALL packet writing software unreliable, because packet writing itself is unreliable? Depends on whom you ask. Bob apparently doesn't like it; personally, I do. And I like DLA better than Roxio's Direct CD. If I remember correctly, Direct CD would use up a couple hundred megs after a format; DLA use a couple hundre Kb, so the savings in space is a plus for me.

Does your 98 system read the RWs you burned on the XP system? Maybe you can salvage what you can and burn it to cd-r, where it should be able to be read on most any drive. I could think of a different method/possibiltiy, but it'd probably be more work than it's worth.

The only people I know that were happy with Roxio are those that got it pre-installed on their Dell's- but only to see it tank on them over time, and switched to Nero.

I don't think I have anymore to add other than what I've already said. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Collapse -
by Chris Sharpe / September 30, 2004 11:40 AM PDT

Brandon, many thanks for your further comments.

> Does your 98 system read the RWs you burned on the XP system?

Initially it did - before I installed Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum (without Direct CD) under XP. The disks were formatted with CDUDFRW (UDF Reader compatible) file format and all four machines I exchange data with, including 3 running Windows 98, could read the CDs AND WTITE TO THEM. It was great for file exchange. Burning was as fast as usual - <5 mins for a CD. The system fulfilled all my requirements perfectly.

However, since installing Roxio (ex-Adaptec) easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum (minus DirectCD to avoid conflict), the CD-RWs I had burned are now illegible ON THE SAME DRIVE ON THE SAME NOTEBOOK UNDER THE SAME XP. XP simply doesn't recognise any data on there. When I erase the CDs, Windows XP now formats in CDFS file format which I can read in XP and 98, but can't edit in either. Plus, burning a CD takes over 20 minutes. Because I can't use packet writing, what this means is it takes over 20 minutes for me to delete a file on the CD! Surely, in the long run, it is going to be less reliabel to keep copying and recopying files too.

In the light of your comments, it looks as if I have to either a) stop using CD-RWs as an easy backup and temporary filing system, or b) stop using Roxio software (which I actually liked very much). Neither option is satisfactory - shouldn't newer versions of software give us more possibilities, not less?

Anyway, I'm thinking of uninstalling Easy CD Creator and seeing if the old functionality comes back. Or would it be better to do a system restore? I'm no computer expert, so I fight shy of tampering with the innards of XP, particularly in the light of recent experience.

Thanks again, Chris.

Collapse -
by Brandon Eng / October 1, 2004 12:59 PM PDT

Well, here's another option, assuming I remember all the posts (I didn't re-read them all).

Uninstall DLA, stop the XP built-in burning program I oulined in a prior post, reinstall the Roxio program with DirectCD- but before doing that, visit the Roxio site to make sure your version is compatible with XP, or if there's a patch to make it do so. Hopefully, you'll be able to have readable disks on both your systems.

Hmmm..wait a minnit. > Does your 98 system read the RWs you burned on the XP system?

Initially it did - before I installed Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum (without Direct CD) under XP.

If I recall correctly, you NEED DirectCD or some other type of packet writing software installed for formatted discs to be read. I recall with DirectCD, it installed a file....udf.vxd I think.

I just found a Roxio link with a patch to make Platinum 5 compatible with XP: http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/ecdc_xpFAQecdcv5p.jhtml
shouldn't newer versions of software give us more possibilities, not less? Sadly, only in an ideal world, lol. Good luck.

Collapse -
PS
by Brandon Eng / October 1, 2004 1:13 PM PDT

If you elect to reinstall Roxio with DirectCD, MAKE SURE YOU UNINSTALL DLA!

Collapse -
by glb613 / September 30, 2004 6:53 AM PDT

I had a lot of problems with Roxio EZ CD Creator 5.0 Platinum edition and XP. Even with the patch that enabled direct CD to be installed and work properly, I still had compatibility problems with the formatted CD-RWs and other computers. I bought EZ CD Creator 6.0 and it works fine with XP. I still don't use direct CD or formatted CD-RWs for a variety of reasons.

The one thing I learned early on, my older programs that worked great with Windows 98 SE didn't always work with XP. I think you can find a program that will do what you want. But I doubt you will have much luck using an older version.

Collapse -
by Rod2 / October 1, 2004 11:05 AM PDT

Roxio 5x didn't get along with XP. Throw in Sonic and Direct CD and it's just more problems.

I had Sonic on my new computer. After installing Roxio with direct CD not only did Sonic not work but neither did direct CD. Sonic had a patch which allowed it work but no direct CD. I solved my problem by buying Roxio 7 with Direct CD of course. Before I installed however I removed all traces of Sonic. No problems here.

Rod

Collapse -
fwiw
by Brandon Eng / October 1, 2004 1:11 PM PDT

When I still had Win 98, purchased...think it was Easy Crator 5 Platinum; had to work days and days to make it even functional; it was such a PITA, I reverted back to v. 4, THAT in inself was a pain also (had to use *3* different Easy CD progs to make it work; the retail for easy cd (some functions), the bundled copy from my Iomega burner to install a lower version of Direct CD, and a bundled copy from an Acer burner to make something else work (forgot which).

Decided to try Nero, and haven't looked back. It's worked with 6 different burners, including my DVD burner, gets along fine with DLA. Getting a free upgrade from Nero 5.x to 6 Ultra was a nice bonus. I'll take a beatup Volkswagon over a non-running Mercedes, as long as it gets me to where I want to go.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.