Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP slow shutdown

by Jane917 / February 5, 2006 3:36 AM PST

I am running XP 2 Dell 4700 Pentium 4 3.2GHz 1G Ram. The machine has run smoothly until yesterday. I tweaked the msconfig a bit to uncheck some files that were loading at startup. I was very careful to double check if a file was needed. If in doubt, I left it checked. The machine starts up fine, but now there is a noticeable lag in shutting down. It takes a longer time than usual for the screen the pop up that lets me click Shut Down or Restart. I ran check disk, clean disk, and defrag (which told me I did not need to defrag). In a pinch, I can always restore back to a time before I started "tweaking," but thought I would post the question here to see if anyone has any good ideas what might be going on. Thanks. Jane

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP slow shutdown
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP slow shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One by one
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 5:18 AM PST

The quickest way to check is to do what you suggested, return the msconfig Startup entries to what they were before you amended them, then shut down and see if the slow shut down has been solved.

If so, then you can check which entry makes the difference by one by one, removing a tick to one of the entries you removed originally, then shut down after each change.

It's laborious but if the change in the msconfig did slow your shut down speed, this way will find the entry and you can then do some more research on why.

If returning msconfig to the way it was does not return the shut down to normal speed then we must think some more.

Good luck

Mark

Collapse -
One by One
by Jane917 / February 5, 2006 7:01 AM PST
In reply to: One by one

I figured the response would be to check each one individually. Would you suggest I use XP Restore to go back or mscofig launch system restore command? It's almost kickoff time, so I won't be doing anything for a while! Jane in Washington

Go Seahawks!

Collapse -
Whatever you wish
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 6:42 PM PST
In reply to: One by One

I would prefer to reverse my steps and see if that cures it; ie, replace the ticks in msconfig.

Mark

Collapse -
RE: did not need to defrag
by caktus / February 5, 2006 7:20 AM PST

I beleive applies if the fragmentation may drastically affect the operation of Windows. Regular or even daily defragmenting will [help] keep the machine operating at peak performance. It also means defregmentation time may be reduced form many minutes to as little as seconds.

You may want to download and browse TweakGuides Tweaking Companion Version 3.0 and browse page 59-63. The entire e-book is 1.9MB but well worth the trouble.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?