Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP slow at logging on/off, shutting down

by woodnwine / January 1, 2010 6:02 AM PST

Hello Forum,

I have a 3 year old PC running a licensed copy of Windows XP Pro, Svc pack 3. The PC has an Intel Core2 CPU, 2.13 GHz, and 1 gig memory. We use the computer at home and have 3 users set up on it. I have licensed copies of Ad-Aware, ESET NOD32 Antivirus, and Spyware. I keep all updated and run them at least once weekly. The programs find very little troubles.

The PC is slower that it used to be. When logging in, it usually takes 1-2 minutes to come up. This is much slower than in the beginning 3 years ago.

Often when I try to log off, it won?t or takes maybe 2 minutes to log off. This is after closing all of the programs. I use Task Manager to see that all users are also logged off and not running any programs. Sometimes I just need to do a cold boot to log off or shut it down. This happens on all users.

I have dabbled in msconfig and tried to disable processes that are not needed at startup. I have uninstalled programs not needed.

I dabbled in dxdiag and checked clock speed and memory. Seems fine.

Are there any suggestions out there that might help the performance? Should it really take all this maintenance to have a little of fun on the PC?

Thanks for any answers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP slow at logging on/off, shutting down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP slow at logging on/off, shutting down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 8:40 AM PST

1. Flip the DMA to PIO and back. How?
http://winhlp.com/node/10

Many have to work this one across many posts. I won't do that any longer. Your choice here but if you look and it reports DMA you have to know XP can lie and be PIO under the cover. Getting this done is just 10 seconds here and it's off the list.

2. Look up CCLEANER. Take the defaults and clean up.

My last thought is about network shares. But none are mentioned.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3 slow booting up, loading
by mfiedl / January 2, 2010 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: ideas.

I have the same issue with my computer, my wife's and a friends computer. All have Windows XP Pro and are very slow booting up, loading programs (especially Outlook and Internet Explorer). I loader CCleaner and it helped some, but everything is still slow. I also tried IOBIT. I have a Dell Dimension 8250 computer. I would rather not do a drive wipe and reload the operating system and programs. I am also considering running AVG. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Already supplied 2.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 2:13 AM PST

Did you try them?

Collapse -
Suggestion results
by woodnwine / January 4, 2010 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: Already supplied 2.

Hello all,

I really didn't unerstand the "Flip the DMA to PIO and back". I went to the link read some, but didn't dabble in it.

I did download CCleaner. As suggested I ran with defaults. I ran Cleaner and Registry. It found many issues in both categories. I read alot of the detail and specifics and cleaned them all.

I rebooted for good measure. I did that 2 days ago and my pc seems much better. I won't hold my breath, but it sure made a difference.

Thanks a bunch.

Alex

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.