Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Shutdown Problem

by Hedgehog270 / February 23, 2005 3:38 AM PST

I'm having a problem getting WinXP to shut down. My system specs are: Windows XP w/SP2, 512meg ram, 1.8gHz P4 processor, ATI All-In-Wonder 9200 graphics card, Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy LS sound card.

I've read in several places about problems with XP locking up when it gets to the "Savind your settings" page, just before it shuts off, but my system doesn't even get that far! Here's what happens: I click on Start, Turn Off Computer, then Turn Off, then......Nothing! My desktop doesn't go away, no other screens come up, absolutely nothing happens! So I go thru the process again...and again...and again... my record so far is 14 attempts until it finally decided to shut down! This problem occurs roughly every other time I try to shut down, not every time! And all during this process, Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't do anything, either.
This has been happening now for about 2 weeks.... I have not installed any new software for at least a month before this problem started, and I run ZoneAlarm Security Suite Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware, CCleaner, System Mechanic 5 utilities, and Windows utilities on a regular basis (lately, almost every day), so I'm fairly certain I don't have any bugs, trojans, viruses, etc. I have also disabled Terminal Services, but that didn't help. As I said, this problem just started about 2 weeks ago, and it's driving me bonkers! Anyone else run into this situation? And if so, how did you fix it? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Charlie Meier

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Shutdown Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Shutdown Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP wont shutdown?
by phattdaddy / February 23, 2005 3:52 AM PST
Collapse -
new BIOS
by lajon / February 26, 2005 2:33 PM PST

Hi,
I know that several people facing the same problem(on their FUJITSI Scaleo 800a with an AMD 3400+), and the solution is to upgrade the BIOS. The new BIOS was provided by their tele-support homepage, so I suggest you check with them if there is a BIOS-upgrade available. I have upgraded my BIOS and do not have the problem (I have others with SP2 but not because of the BIOS...).
LAJON

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / February 26, 2005 9:03 PM PST

1. Ever wondered which program has a particular file or directory open? "Process Explorer," a standalone utility that may be downloaded and used, will show information about which handles and DLLs processes that have been opened or loaded. It does nothing to correct situations for you but should give you thought as to what may be running or open and perhaps help identify the culprit causing a system problem.

Note: The display consists of two sub-windows. The top window always shows a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their own accounts, whereas the information displayed in the bottom window depends on the process selected in the top and makes it useful for tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide insight into the way Windows and applications work.

2. Shell Extensions are in-process COM objects which extends the abilities of Windows operating system. Most shell extensions are automatically installed by the operating system, but there are also many other applications that install additional shell extension components. For example: If you install WinZip on your computer, you'll see a special WinZip menu when you right-click on a Zip file. This menu is created by adding a shell extension to the system. The "ShellExView utility" utility which you may download and use displays the details of shell extensions installed on your system, and allows you to easily disable or enable them until you find the culprit causing the anomaly. I would suggest you concentrate on those listed which are other than M$. I also suggest you view this site information "Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers."

3. The article [Q286350] discusses Autodump+ (ADPlus.vbs) a new tool from Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) that can troubleshoot any process or application that stops responding (hangs) or fails (crashes) and is a console-based Microsoft Visual Basic script.

4. The article [Q314834] documents the method for clearing the Windows paging file (Pagefile.sys) during the shutdown process so that no unsecured data such as a password is contained in the paging file when the shutdown process is complete. Although clearing the paging file is not a suitable substitute for physical security of a computer, you might want to do this to increase the security of data on a computer while Windows is not running. In addition, enabling this feature may increase shutdown time.

5. Please note, when the "by design" Security Policy Setting "Clear virtual memory pagefile" (image) is enabled, the computer may take longer to shut down than normally. This behavior occurs because the computer must physically write to each page in the pagefile to clear each page -- the period of time that it will take varies according to the pagefile size, and the disk hardware involved.

6. "Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting."

Collapse -
Thanks All
by Hedgehog270 / February 27, 2005 5:16 AM PST

Thanks to all who have offered advice and help with my reboot problem, I appreciate it! I've been thru all the steps outlined in the various posts, and so far the problem persists.
I'm gonna try one more thing before attempting to upgrade my BIOS, however. Will try to remember to let y'all know if I ever get it figured out! What really bugs me, I think, is that the interminable delay in shutting down only occurs every other time I switch off! I don't understand why it doesn't happen every time, sigh... Oh well, I'm off to do some more tinkering! Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wat happens in safe mode
by gopinath_sastra / February 27, 2005 5:22 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks All

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!