Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Shutdown during install.

Hi, I am trying to install windows xp professional on a partition on my laptop. At random points during the install it shuts down my computer. It usually shuts down at loading Keyboard layout dll thing after it says starting windows. I have re-tried and got to the point of formatting my Partition to NTFS. Why is this problem happening? I have an HP G60 120US laptop currently running windows vista home premium.

Thank you, all help is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Shutdown during install.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Shutdown during install.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually heat related.

In reply to: Windows XP Shutdown during install.

You didn't reveal if Vista was working or not. A recent discussion about installing on this (?) model found issues with installing from the CD/DVD drive. The member claims they were able to install from an USB memory stick.

Small things that matter. Must be a XP SP2 or better XP CD. Must not be a XP CD from another PC maker. That is you can't use your average XP CD from HP unless it was for the G60.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Usually heat related.

It is a boxed copy of Windows xp pro for any computer, Vista works fine. I just hate it for gaming...

Collapse -
Did this laptop arrive with Vista pre-installed?

In reply to: ...

I'm just wondering if a new Vista capable machine no longer supports XP. What do the makers of the laptop say about downgrading to XP?

Mark

Collapse -
That's it.

"a boxed copy of Windows xp pro for any computer"

Remember where details mattered? No SP2 so that's a problem.

I offered how they got around the issue by installing from an USB memory stick. I bet an USB CD/DVD drive might work too.

The details matter. Also since this is a SATA HARD DISK, you would have done something to handle that. Which method did you use?
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: That's it.

It is a new CD with service pack 3, it is a 32-bit corporate edition. I am not downgrading this is a dual boot. I have dual booted this machine to this exact CD before. Now it just shuts down my computer. HP says that this operation should work fine. Maybe it's the fact that the disk is formatted to NTFS 6.0 (from vista). Might it need to be formatted to XP's NTFS 5.1?

Collapse -
it is a 32-bit corporate edition.

Then you are in luck. Such editions due to their cost come with stellar support.

Use that support.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.