PC Applications forum

General discussion

Windows XP Services Manager?

I've seen utilities that allow the user to disable applications that start with Windows, is there a similar application that allows the user to disable services that start with Windows? I know this can be done using MSconfig but I was looking for something else.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Services Manager?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Services Manager?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Run SERVICES.MSC

In reply to: Windows XP Services Manager?

That's the supplied tool. Not hard to use.

Collapse -
You might try...

WinPatrol 9.7 FREE! It also warns you when something tries to place something in your Startup programs. And lets you easily remove programs from Startup. And more.

There's a pay version but it's not neccessary.
Collapse -
And yet another one.........

In reply to: You might try...

I use a program called "Code Stuff Starter", it works for me.

Collapse -
Forgot to mention..........

In reply to: And yet another one.........

You can right click on the "services" to google them to see if you need them or not.

Collapse -
Also

In reply to: Forgot to mention..........

Service Controller XP and visit Black Viper's site.

Collapse -
Black Viper

In reply to: Also

The last time that I checked Black Viper's site was down. I'm not sure what happened to it.

Collapse -
Try Startup Cop

Startup cop came out a few years ago, I used it Win98 and still using it on WinXP Pro.
It had to be the best program for this application as it will let you disable programs from starting up as well as totally deleting startup programs.
PC magazine had initially offered this as freeware, they may still have it available as a download.

Collapse -
Windows msconfig manager

It work
Why would want "something else"?

Collapse -
services.msc

As Bob says, you have exactly what you need in the box, so don't go looking for third-party software to do Windows jobs - this is inefficient!

Start > Run... > services.msc (must be done from an administrative account)

Double-click any service in the list and you can get/set a number of properties. The main one you're interested is the startup type, which can have one of three values:

Automatic: Always starts with Windows.
Manual: Started by other processes that depend on it.
Disabled: Cannot be started except by manually changing this value back to one of the above.

Note: exercise caution when disabling services if you do not know the implications - you may end up preventing important components (even Windows itself) from starting. At the very least, check the 'Dependencies' tab to see what other services depend on the one you're altering.

It's generally better to select 'Manual' first, then check after startup to see whether the service has been started by the system. If not, that means it *should* be safe to disable, though of course it also means you don't really need to Wink

Collapse -
Need info and notes in a services manager utility

In reply to: services.msc

Well, as good as services.msc is, there are things out there that give you more of an idea of what you can and cannot turn off. Furthermore, what I would really like to see is a service manager that allows you to make notes concerning the different services (including different instances of services running through svchost). There is so much conflicting advice about just about every service out there and it would be nice to keep all my notes in the same place where I turn the services on or off or to manual.

Finally, it would kind of be nice if you could more easily manage different hardware configurations as windows likes to call it (although essentially, they are different service configurations). I have set up before so that I had different services running under different boot up configurations but it is clunky through the windoes software.

By the way, I know this is an old old thread, but it still seems relevant to me.

Collapse -
Look up Anvir Task Manager...

In reply to: Need info and notes in a services manager utility

It is not free, but Anvir Task Manager possesses the functionality you are looking for, and then some. Just be very careful when disabling processes/services/drivers, as it is possible for you to cripple Windows, rendering it in an unbootable state the next time you restart.

John

Collapse -
Try this.

You may wish to try Tweak-XP - it is not free, however, it has an evaluation period of 40 sessions during which you can ''tweak'' startup and a good many other settings in Windows XP.

Collapse -
Service Controller XP

In reply to: Try this.

I also know this post is kind of old, but, there are some reasons for example ppl like me who can't have a better machine for now... I tried Service Controller XP and it does just what I wanted.
Why third Party soft? because you can GROUP services in different configs for eample I need to work with video editing software until 2:00 am and don't need the intenet nor any of the services related to networking.
Why not TuneUp, TweakXP or other soft, because they do LOTS of things I can also do manually and they can't Store some of this sets of changes made to the system.
With Service Controller XP I can restore a set of services and store 4 "States" or config sets, and manage them as needed.
If anybody finds a soft that can manage Windows resources by giving you several sets that changes: Services, StartUp, MemReleaser, CaheEnhance, Load/Unload Background Proceses or "pause" them to free resources, and still can group all that task in "State Sets" ... please tell me. (Sorry about my english - Spanish is my 1st L) Thanks to all.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.