Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP sending outmore on internet than it receives

by old_farmer / August 13, 2005 2:25 PM PDT

My son has a HP pavillion. About six months ago he had problem wherin the meter showing bytes sent and bytes received shows more sent, sometimes as much as three times sent as received. He changed the modem. Same thing.
Later he discoved spyware. Since he has the HP recovery CD"s he decided to use a Seagate Utility to zero fill the hard drive. This made it blank, theoretically. Then he ran the recovery cd, wich partioned and formated drive before restoring to factory fresh. He had to load drivers for the new modem no problem. He went to microsoft for all the XP updatse. After going online again same problem! He just completely restored today, and third time online bytes sent is double bytes received. But on all other computers in house received is higher. His is incredibly slow! We all use the same dialup service. By the way, we are not networked, only one computer online at a time

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP sending outmore on internet than it receives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP sending outmore on internet than it receives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spyware
by Merl Priester / August 13, 2005 3:18 PM PDT

You can reinstall windows all you want but until you practice SAFE internet browsing, you will be in the same predicament again.

Spyware cleanup:

Search for the following they are all free:
Adaware
Spybot S&D
Microsoft Antispyware
Ewido

These are anivirus also free:
AVG Anitvirus
Avast Antivirus

Firefox browser: Does not install spyware.

After your system is completely clean of Virus and Spyware, do all updates from Windows Update.

Ypu need SP2. Since you are on dialup find someone with broadband and download the whole SP2 update from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

It is a very large >250Meg download
Burn to CD and install from there. Don't even attempt SP2 on dialup.

Collapse -
In addition
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 13, 2005 8:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Spyware

to Merl's good advice, I would add that you need a firewall.

Many people will say that on a dial-up connection a firewall is not required, but I believe it is. It will stop spyware from "phoning home" without you, (your son), from giving it permission to do so.

XP's SP2 has a better firewall than XP's SP1, and it is better than no firewall. But a 3rd party firewall application like Sygate or ZoneAlarm is better still.

My own preference is for ZoneAlarm, a free firewall from http://www.zonelabs.com.

Also, Merl mentioned safe browsing, and that "has" to include safe use of emails.

When an email is received, "do not preview it". Turn off the preview pane in Outlook Express, (View > Layout, de-select "Show preview pane"). Viruses can be transmitted through images in emails which can infect just by previewing the image in the email.

When an email is received, if you do not know who it is from, "Delete it". If you do not know who it is from, it is probably spam.

When an email is received with an attachment, "Do Not Open The Attachment", even if it is from a trusted source, (the trusted source may be virus infected as well). Instead, save the attachment to a temporary area, (the desktop is a good place for temporary storage), then right click the attachment and select, "Scan with ...." whatever your anti-virus is. Only then should you open the attachment if it is virus free.

Do the same with attachments/images received via Instant Messaging or chat rooms.

"Never" give out email address in web pages, (eg forum messages like these), or chat rooms. Robot programs search such places for email addresses so they can be spammed.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Also
by Alan Copeland / August 13, 2005 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Spyware

Microsoft will mail a SP2 diskette free of charge.

Collapse -
Prior preparation sometimes helps.
by Cursorcowboy / August 13, 2005 10:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you for help.
by old_farmer / August 16, 2005 1:00 AM PDT

On my own cumputer as well as my wifes and our other sons we run AVG for virus protection, spybot search and destroy, spyware blaster and ad-aware se. we don't have these problems. I loaned the cd with these programs on it to our son with the problem.

I found out after posting this problem to the forum that he REFUSES to use these. He says they are a waste of time! Sorry that my son is an idiot. He will keep having the problem, and even after showing him your posts he says these are all a waste of time and won't use them! Meanwhile, the rest of use are safe. Thank you for youre time and effert

Collapse -
That's a shame
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 16, 2005 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you for help.

that your son does not choose to see the obvious and listen to reason.

You say that you are safe.

That is so, but may I suggest as an added precaution that you do not accept any emails with attachments, any CD's, floppy disks or any downloads from his computer without scanning them first for viruses and spyware.

Your son may be happy to continue using his infected computer, but it really is not fair of him to continue infecting others.

You may also wish to consider a more drastic step, one I hesitate to mention as I have no business involving myself in family affairs. But if your son's surfing habits have caused his own computer to be infected, perhaps a password lock, (user-controlled access only), is needed to prevent him from using your computer.

Sorry.

Mark

Collapse -
Good Point
by old_farmer / August 16, 2005 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a shame

When he first had a problem we isolated him from the network. He now has his own phone line for internet. Can I set up passwork accounts on Win98Se? Everyone except for him is on 98, he hasXP. I have one machine with xp that is an educational version, from my colege, and it is going on network soon. I had a CPU die, or it would be there now.

Collapse -
Password for Win 98
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 16, 2005 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Point

The best way it seems, is to create a BIOS password. See the article below for guidance, but take care. If you forget the BIOS password or lose it, you will be unable to get past the BIOS to load Windows.

http://www.softheap.com/boot-password.html

The next article may help to set up a Windows password, but by doing this you may cause problems with connecting to your local network.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/autolog.htm

Mark

Collapse -
and to reinforce...
by Dick White / August 16, 2005 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a shame

As Mark said, "it really is not fair of him to continue infecting others." We should be absolutely clear here that the "others" at stake are not simply the family members on his internal network (who are taking appropriate cautions), but the whole rest of the world! The scumware that has infected his machine is constantly and promiscuously sending out whatever the zombie(s) controllers wish to send through his machine - whether mere spam or malicious content. It is being sent to somebody - many many many somebodies, as a matter of fact, possibly even ME! - matter which at a minimum clogs my email with unwanted spam or at worst, bombards my system with viruses or trojan/malware. And even if not me personally, it is contaminating the overall internet, making my use of it more difficult and costly (as ISPs struggle to stay on top of it - costs which are passed through to customers...). AND I SINCERELY OBJECT TO HIS UNCONSCIONABLE BEHAVIOR. I understand your plight, as a fellow father of similar age sons, so perhaps if he won't listen to your reasoning, please tell him that the rest of us think he needs to get his act together.

Sorry for the blast,
dw

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by old_farmer / August 17, 2005 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: and to reinforce...

He is enrolled at college. He just graduated with honors and an AA degree. He is continuing for degrees to become a teacher. I "suggested" checking with the network administrater on campus to see if he had seen similar problems. Also "suggested" talking to webmaster and repair techs.
Well guess what. They all said the same as you guys did except that some suggested other programs instead of the same names used here (one prefers different over spybot search and destroy) but all said basicaly same thing! Finally he beleives!

Thanks to all

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) He probably thinks you went to night school to get so smart
by Alan Copeland / August 17, 2005 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Solved
Collapse -
yup...
by Dick White / August 17, 2005 10:34 AM PDT

he will undoubtedly be absolutely amazed when he turns 25 how much YOU have learned in the last 5 years (with credit to Will Rogers for that quip...). Glad somebody got through to him. (And seriously, from the parent perspective, this was a good go-round. A few more times of discovering from other sources (including the school of hard knocks) that the old man was right about that the first time, and your stock goes up, little by little. And 25 years from now, he'll really appreciate your patience, trust, and caring when he gets this same treatment from his own children.

dw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Extremely well put!!
by seafox13 / August 17, 2005 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: yup...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?