Computer Help forum

General discussion

windows xp security

by clo312 / February 27, 2005 2:35 PM PST

I am tring to disallow certain programs from all users except my self. Basically only want users to have access to internet email or a few games not to programs such as my symantec software. Can and how can this be done?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Install it only to your
by Ray Harinec / February 27, 2005 4:49 PM PST
In reply to: windows xp security

users account, not the "all users" account. Then be sure that you have assigned a password to your account.

Collapse -
Won't work
by Yew / February 27, 2005 9:10 PM PST

All a user would have to do is make their way to the Program Files directory and run the executable directly.

Believe it or not, there are quite a few of us out there who don't need icons on the desktop to run a program. I know we're a minority, especially among Windows users, but do you really want to take the chance of running into one of us using your method?

Collapse -
Are you impatient?????
by Ray Harinec / February 27, 2005 4:54 PM PST

Why two posts with same question???????????? Are you aware that there are no paid individuals here, including Moderators????? Thus when help arrives depends on many individual's personal factors such as they go to work to put food on the table, go to church on Sunday, live on the other side of the world etc.

Collapse -
No easy way
by Yew / February 27, 2005 9:16 PM PST

In order to do what you want, you have to get into the fun world of permissions and group policy management. It's stuff so dry, even a beancounter would likely find it boring.

Windows security is essentially an oxymoron, and there's no real good way to lock things down. If you're dealing with average Windows users, who wouldn't know what to do if there's not an icon on the desktop for a program, then the previous answer given would suffice. If you're dealing with more advanced users, then unless you're willing to learn the trade of being a Windows box administrator (stock up on asprin, you'll need it), just accept the fact that if those people want into something, they'll get into it and there's nothing you can do about it.

Collapse -
Clo, This Will Help...It's Not That Difficult
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 28, 2005 4:11 AM PST

Some information is needed from you...Are you the administrator of the computer? Have you created "limited" users for all the other users? "Limited Users" can not install system changing programs and can't alter system files. You can set up limited user restrictions so they can only use programs of your choice. There are various ways to do it but all of them require you to be the administrator and the other users to have specific log ons in a "limited user" capacity of some sort..(Guest, power user, user, etc.)

If you want to limit specific program access, you should be able to navigate to the program in the "Program Files" folder from Windows Explorer, RIGHT click on the program's .exe file, choose "Properties". When the Properties window loads, click on the "Security" tab, then place CHECK marks in the all the boxes in the "Deny" column. Click on Apply, then OK. BE SURE THAT YOUR ARE NOT PART OF THAT USER GROUP. The next time the limited user attempts to use the program, Windows will give a pop up indicating the lack of permissions.

Some antivirus programs actually have password protection. Our corporate versions do. Does your's?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?