General discussion

windows xp running slow

hi please help,recently got new comp and installed 300k broadband and full mcaphee internrt suite 7,xp started running very slow,all temp files r deleted and no viruses are found,

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: windows xp running slow
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: windows xp running slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
taskmanager

I have a similar problem. when you look at taskmanager Im wondering what cpu usage is at and how many apps are running..

- Collapse -
xp running slow

cpu usage is at 100% and only 2 app running. a message motive chorus client has encounterd fatal error has popped up!!!!

- Collapse -
Jeeba
- Collapse -
roddy32 motive chorus

thanx at least i know there is no major problem,i am running virus scan from mcafee internet suite 7

- Collapse -
That is fine for Virus scans

but you need others for spyware/adware. Here are some of the free ones that are reputable.

Spybot S&D (download, check for updates, read the tutorial and scan often, it also does some blocking)
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

Ad-Aware SE (a scanner, download, check for updates, read the directions and scan.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

cwshredder (stand alone unit)(another small scanner for certain things, ALL other windows should be closed)
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

SpywareBlaster (a blocker only, download it, check for updates, enable it and leave it alone except for checking for updates occasionally)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

- Collapse -
firefox

if you are still using internet explorer, you may wish to change to mozilla firefox. firefox is more secure than internet explorer and you'd end up getting a lot less spyware. firefox however isn't the only browser and it's only a matter of preferance which you use.

www.getfirefox.com
www.opera.com

- Collapse -
xp running slow

hi thanx,downloaded search and destroy found eight items to b fixed,still operating slow,automatic updates has been downloading for day and a half and still at 71%.tryed upping virtual memory that windows uses to no avail.

- Collapse -
jeeba

You did NOT say in your earlier posts that automatic updates was running. I wish you had said something.Do you have any idea at all what you are downloading? If you have a download coming in that big, it's got to be SP2 I would think. You would be better off getting that on CD. Spybot by itself is NOT going to get everything off your computer. You need the others that I gave you the links for too, especially Ad-Aware SE and cwshredder. They all look for different things and even with ALL of them, you may still have some malware on your computer but you would be better off than you are now.

- Collapse -
windows xp running slow

many thanx will try all you have advised and will let you know,ver much appreciated

- Collapse -
Hijack This

Hi,

Google for a program called Hijack this. Its a simple install. Run it and you will be presented with a list of stuff. If you would, please copy and post that list. That list will contain programs or entries of spyware/bho's that can slow down your PC. We'll look it over and tell you where to go next.

You might want to do this after you use spyware scanning programs mentioned in one of the above posts.

- Collapse -
windows xp running slow
- Collapse -
windows xp running slow

Sugest you try one of two things:
1. check all settings in your anti virus software, particularly if it scans all files when accessed, say no to this option.

2. uninstall your anti virus & then see if speed improves.

I had similar problems with the same av, I switched to Trend Micro (hint).

- Collapse -
try this sure to work

hi jeeba
try to browse in safe mode with networking and if your computer is faster do clean boot and check if third party services or startup items are causing issue

CNET Forums

Forum Info