General discussion

windows xp restore wizzard problem

i backed up my documents, etc. using the windows xp backup utility a couple weeks ago. i backed up onto a western digital portable usb hard drive. when i try to use the restore wizzard, the message "insert the following media: 9-30-10.bkf created 9/30/2010 at 6:05pm media #1 do you want to continue?" shows up. when i click yes, it says "creating system restore checkpoint" as the status, then shows the same error message "insert the following media..." i've searched the internet for solutions and have been pulling my hair out. someone PLEASE help! thanks! laura

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: windows xp restore wizzard problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: windows xp restore wizzard problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A couple of questions;

If you only backed up a couple of weeks ago, why do you want to restore now? Is there some other problem with this system?

Where did you backup these files too? If to a CD, ensure that same CD is inserted into the CD drive before selecting that file.

If that fails, use the Browse button in the Restore Wizard window to locate your file.

There's more about XP's Backup and Restore wizard here;
http://www.freeopenbook.com/win-xp-toolkit/32ch03d.htm

Mark

- Collapse -
Re: windows XP backup
- Collapse -
follow up

i backed up my documents and then reinstalled windows xp to get rid of a virus and get a fresh start. i backed up onto a portable hard drive. i followed the steps, but get the error message. the hard drive is plugged in, i can get into it using "my computer" but then run into that problem. it seems like it should work, but it doesn't. it's not as simple as my just not getting it... i did 2 backups from 2 different hard drives, and was able to restore the other with no problems

- Collapse -
I seem to remember ...

that the drive must have the same drive letter when you write (backup) and when you read it again (restore). Does it?

- Collapse -
to kees

i'm not sure, but i think the portable hard drive is labeled the same as before i reinstalled windows xp. is that what you mean? i've got A:floppy, C:hard drive that came with the computer, D:extra internal hard drive, E:dvd drive, F:dvd-rw drive, and g: portable hard drive (when it's connected)

- Collapse -
to kees 2

i think it used to be that the extra internal hard drive was labeled F, and the dvd drive was D, and dvd-rw E

does that make a difference?

- Collapse -
Could make a difference.

See what happens if you tell Disk Management to assign it a fixed drive letter f:. I've never done it myself, but I think it should be possible.

Kees

- Collapse -
no luck

i tried to, but disk management would only let me use an unassigned letter

- Collapse -
just remembered

when i did the restore of the other files, i copied the backup file from my portable external hard drive to the desk top. no problems there. when i tried to do that with this other backup file, it says there is a cyclical redundancy check. does this mean there's something wrong with the portable hard drive?

- Collapse -
Re: CRC error

That means a corrupted file, a corrupted file system or bad hardware. That's why it makes sense to have more than one backup.

For example: you want to do a clean install of your OS. So you copy all your files to an external disk. Then you do that install and it turns out your external disk is unreadable. Your data are gone.

Better: copy all your files to an external disk. Copy them from the external disk to the internal disk of your second PC. Now go ahead. If anything happens with the external, solve it and copy your data back from the internal disk of that second PC. You still have the data!

Kees

- Collapse -
now what?

so is there any way to get my documents back?

- Collapse -
Next up is a service for that.

Ask
http://www.drivesavers.com for an estimate.

BTW, B A C K U P is no less than 3 copies. The original and 2 backup copies. Why this is, is steeped in IT lore. It's all about "what are the chances that 3 copies all will go bad or missing.

There's a lot more about this but loss seems to be when folk learn about backup in more detail than they ever wanted to read or hear.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info