Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Xp Restart

by msiu38 / May 24, 2006 6:01 AM PDT

Ok, I recently had windows xp home installed on my laptop. I went to install xp pro. I got this copy of pro from my friend. THe coyp did not work on her computer, so it had not yet been registered. Well I found out that she received pro from someone else who did use the activation code. Now, I'm outa luck, gotta restart. I have the recovery disk with xp home; do I do a full install or repair install? If I full install it will ask me to validate windows, but it will not work because i've already used the code to activate the old xp home. I don't think a repair install will work though because it is going from xp pro to home. Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Xp Restart
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Xp Restart
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this
by rosscbrown / May 24, 2006 4:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Xp Restart

I'm not sure if I understand your situation.

I understand that you wish to restore your computer to Windows XP Home which you previously had installed on the computer which you had also activated.

If this is the case, then you can do a full install of Windows XP Home on the computer and activate it.

You can install Windows XP onto the SAME computer many times while still retaining the ability to activate it. However you will not be able to activate it on another computer.

So to summarize, you can and (in my opinion should) do a FULL install. In-fact I am unsure that you would be able to do a repair install.

Best of Luck.

Collapse -
by Themisive / May 25, 2006 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: try this

You do that though, backup ALL your irreplaceable data (e-mails, word files and the like) to CD or DVD; otherwise I completely agree with Ross.

Collapse -
Since you need to start over
by glb613 / May 25, 2006 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Xp Restart

download, install, run Belarc and print out the results. It will show everything installed including product key numbers which you will need when you reinstall everything.

Collapse -
Ok thanks for your help
by msiu38 / May 25, 2006 1:22 PM PDT

Ok. The only thing that I was worried about was that if I did a full install, then I wouldn't be able to activate the full install version, because it was activated when I first had xp on it. Any suggestions on office software? I had it preinstalled, but it came with no cds! Bummer!

Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / May 25, 2006 3:27 PM PDT

Since the copy of XP Pro. had already been activated on another computer, you're out of can't use it, and the only way to use XP Home or another OS is to wipe the hard drive (as stated about) and start over from scratch. (A repair install will not do the trick.)

Now, as long as the copy of Windows XP Home you had was legitimate, you should have no problems activating it again after the fresh install. You aren't able to install it on multiple computers, but you should be able to reinstall it on the single computer as many times as you need without a single problem.

As to the Office software, since it came pre-installed, I'd contact the manufacturer and ask for a set of CDs. They'll charge you a nominal fee, but should be able to get you a copy, provided the computer isn't too old. If you can't get a copy from the manufacturer, and you don't want to purchase a copy of Microsoft Office, you have two choices. The first is to switch to the free alternative office suite Open Office, which is compatible with Microsoft Office. The other alternative, at least for the short term, is to download the free trial of Microsoft Office 2007 Beta 2 by clicking here. It's quite stable and full-featured, and includes a valid license that lasts through February 2007. By then you'll have to decide on a permanent solution.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
I knew pro would give me issues
by msiu38 / May 26, 2006 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification...

Right. I know that pro won't work, and i have never installed xp home, except on that computer. Clean full install for me. I just wanted to make sure that if i reinstalled it would activate. Thanks.

Collapse -
How to full install
by msiu38 / May 27, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

Can anybody give me like quick easy instructions for a full xp home install? I just wanna make sure I do it right. Thanks

Collapse -
Not too difficult
by Themisive / May 27, 2006 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: How to full install

First, put your XP CD in the drive, I assume you have the full copy of XP Home.

Reboot your machine, then go into the BIOS, make sure it is set to boot from CD then Boot from Hard Drive. Press F10 to save changes and exit.

The computer will contiue startup and find the boot tracks from the CD, it will start by loading some small files, then will ask if you want to reformat the drive, choose Yes.

After re-formatting, it will go on to load the O/S and you will be promted to make some settings near the end.

At some point it will ask you for the product key, enter this, and let it carry on.

Ignore the setup questions for the internet, it's easier by far to do it seperately afterwards.

When it asks for the computer name, choose your own, and it will also ask for a password, if you want one, either do it now or you can do it after setup has finished.

Once it has finished (it will reboot itself at least 3 times during the setup operation, THIS IS NORMAL), it will reboot itself again

Start loading all your programmes in, one of the first should be your anti-virus system, so that when you do log on to the 'net after setting up your modem, you will have some protection.

Collapse -
Here's the screenshot tutorial...
by John.Wilkinson / May 27, 2006 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: How to full install

For a good step-by-step tutorial, complete with screenshots, click here.

Hope this helps,

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?