Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows xp repair installation will not complete.

by Joni372 / May 17, 2009 9:10 AM PDT

My husband was on his computer in yahoo home page. He was holding his mouse over an ad. The computer suddenly crashed and restarted. My husband then got a sudden error message on his computer.
"One of the files containing the System's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful"
You could not get it to go away if you clicked ok. We restarted in manually because you were not able to get into start or any programs at all. I did get it to go away at one point but still could not get into any programs or start menu. I was trying to run an anti virus and also a clean up and fix of registry, but could not.

Did some research on internet and decided to do a windows repair installation. I also found not to go through the repair console. But to go through the other way that just replaces all files and re-installs windows into the same folder so not to lose any saved work or docs.
I did that and it is the one we installed before. But after starting this process it will go through until it is about 3/4 the way installing and the computer just stops. You can see the light is blank and nothing is going on. I left it at one point after trying it over and over and still the same results for many hours. When I came back it was still in the same place.
It will not complete in installation. But if you try to re-boot it just goes right back where it left off, even if the CD is taken out of the computer. I tried everything in safe mode and nothing happens but goes right back to re-starting the windows xp repair were it had stopped working and wants to continue.

What can I do. There seems to be no way to get out of this. And if I can with your help get out. I still can not click on anything on the desktop to fix this problem. My husband has some very important pictures and work that would be lost if we have to re-boot with a restore CD that you get with the computer, that can never be replaced or redone.

I did do a search and found there is a chance that the windows xp even though is the one we used to set up with may not work because of all the updates done since that time.
But even if I would of known that. I would not have been able to go in and remove all updates to do the repair. If that is the case what can I do now.

I would appreciate any help so much. It would mean so much to my husband to at least get in there long enough to save all of this very important info etc.

Thank you,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows xp repair installation will not complete.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows xp repair installation will not complete.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: windows repair will not complete
by Kees Bakker / May 17, 2009 10:05 PM PDT

First of all, tell your husband 2 things:
1. Start reading about BACKUP (for all your "very important files") and start DOING it actually after I repaired your computer.
2. Get your creditcard ready and buy me another hard disk of the right type (IDE or SATA) and a size that works with the restore CD. And an external enclosure of the right type, please.

Then get the old disk out of the PC and into the enclosure and the new disk in the PC and do a clean install of XP from the restore CD. Afterwards, copy the needed files from the external disk. You'll find that disk to be useful for backups also.

Collapse -
windows repair will not complete
by Joni372 / May 18, 2009 12:14 AM PDT

Thank you for answering this for me. I had never thought of another hard drive. He does back up everything but had run out of CDs. Since he has been unemployed he could not get any more and so this is why we have this problem now.
The only think I need to ask is how do we after installing another hard drive get the info from the old and bring it to the new. I know you can install two hard drives, but how to get to the old etc I don't understand. It is a great idea and that is what I will do. We will have to sit tight for now until we have the money to do so. But once we do we plan to get both hard drive and more CDs to save all his work.
Thanks so much

Collapse -
One fast tip for now: use CD-RW to backup.
by Kees Bakker / May 18, 2009 1:44 AM PDT

You can reuse old CD's and overwrite them with a more recent backup. And/or see if you can find a cheap DVD-burner. They can contain 7 times as much data, so backup is cheaper in the long run.

Collapse -
Windows Repair does not work
by jrap30 / May 18, 2009 3:11 AM PDT

While his answer is correct, I believe he is assuming your hard drive is bad. If you are so broke your husband can not buy CD or DVDs, I can not see you waiting until you can either buy or borrow a hard drive. Why not, do a complete re-install of XP.....and forget about repair.

Last month IE 8 download and installation did not complete correctly. I reverting back to IE 7 but without menus so I tried numerous restores until I was back to IE 6 but even IE 6 was broke. Therefore, sometimes Window XP repair, still, will not repair that one damage file or registry setting. Last week since I am changing my Internet Security Suite. I did a complete re-install of XP. Excerpt for the formatting hard drive, which you have a choice of full Format, quick format and I think no format, the install time was the same. Yes full format took an additional 1 hr and 15 minutes and yes you have to re-install all patches, for me XP SP3 and all my applications. But, I have now successfully done both within a months timeframe (1) XP Repair and (2) complete XP install. You may have to load some of your motherboard drivers,I did since my motherboard was issue in 2006.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?