Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp reinstall problem on sony vaio

by patti / May 30, 2004 1:23 AM PDT

I can no longer reinstall my windows xp on my pc. this is what it tells me each time i have tried..."cannot normally execute the initial setting of partition information. this utility exits and your computer is rebooted". i don't recall changing any partition or anything last time i reinstalled it. so i don't know how to fix this or if i have a big problem i will no longer be able to restore my computer back to it's original state when i bought it. if anyone can help i would appreciate it. thx. patti

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp reinstall problem on sony vaio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp reinstall problem on sony vaio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:windows xp reinstall problem on sony vaio
by glb613 / May 30, 2004 1:52 AM PDT

Do you have a Windows XP CD with a valid product key? If not, did your computer come with a set of restore CDs? Or was that information located on the hard drive? If it was on the hard drive, did you make a set of restore CDs? If you didn't make a set of restore CDs, you may have to contact Sony and see if you can get a replacement set.

Collapse -
Re:windows xp reinstall problem on sony vaio
by David Chan / May 30, 2004 1:56 AM PDT

Patti,

I've recently worked on a Sony VAIO desktop and all it took was to boot with the Sony Recovery Disk 1 and select to do a destructive recovery which automaticall formats and recover the Sony to it's factory installed state.

If your HDD partitions have somehow gotten corrupt and the Sony Recovery Disks cannot perform the recovery process successfully you can try these two options:

1. Boot with a Win98SE Startup Disk (Download from bootdisk.com) and then delete all the partitions (for NTFS delete the non-dos partition). Then try rebooting with the Sony Recovery Disk and start over. Remember to change the boot sequence in the BIOS accordingly.

2. Try the Sony recovery procedure on another HDD or a new HDD and see if that works.

If it's still under warranty you could also call Sony for assistance?

Let us know how you make out.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!