Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP receiving MP3's from a MAC.

I'm running XP Pro on my computer. When a friend tries to send me an MP3 from his MAC, it shows up on my computer as a .dat file, and won't open on any player I have. What can be done to fix that?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP receiving MP3's from a MAC.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP receiving MP3's from a MAC.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows XP receiving MP3's from a MAC.

In reply to: Windows XP receiving MP3's from a MAC.

If you are sure it is an MP3 file, then try just changing the filename extension from .DAT to .MP3, or whatever extension your PC is setup to recognize as MP3 files.

The filename extension is not required on a Mac (they use other means to recognize file types, and your transfer method may just be throwing on the .DAT extension since it doesn't know what entension should be on the file.

BTW, when you are setting up for your file transfer, you may have some means to automatically assign some correct filename extension, or not, but check it out.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Windows XP receiving MP3's from a MAC.

I've tried renaming it. I try playing it on Media Player. It shows the song title, the total time of the song, but won't play. It won't play on any other program I've tried. I had this problem before when he sent me MP3's, but have no idea how we solved it.

Collapse -

Also, even when I rename it, when I check the properties, it says it's a .dat file.

Collapse -

If you are renaming the filename extension to something other than .DAT, and the properties still say it is a .DAT, then my guess here is that your Windows Explorer is not setup to display the extensions of known file types.

So, while you are puting ".MP3" on what appears to be a file named like "HoundDog" it really has the ".DAT" extension somewhat hidden from you. Sort of like:
HoundDog(.dat)

So when you entered the ".MP3" on the end of "HoundDog" you really now have
"HoundDog.MP3(.dat)"
and your Explorer still knows the file to be a .DAT file.

So, please check your Explorer to see that you see the extensions of all files.
Go to Windows Explorer, (this is for WinXP, other versions of Windows may have controls something like this too):
select Tools>Folder Options,
select the View tab,
uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types"

See if that helps.

Collapse -

SUCCESS!! That solved the problem. Media Player said it didn't recconize the file extension, but it might be able to play it anyway, and it did. Now, in theory, when I get MP3's from a Mac, will they work? Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Collapse -

Yes, in theory, and in practice, I would say that MP3 files will work on any platform that has a player that can play MP3 files.

Same for JPG files, MOV files, etc. even DOC (Word) files. Now you might think whoa, wait a minute, Word is a PC program, how can I use a DOC file on a Mac? Using 'Word for the Mac' of course; Microsoft makes a version of Office (which includes Word) for the Mac.

What you can't normally do is take a Mac floppy, with a Word file on it and open it on the PC (assuming Word is on both platforms). That is because PC's never thought it was important to incorporate Mac file format reading capability. Conversely, Mac's can easily open PC formatted floppies, and if a Word document is there, then it can be opened. (BTW, there are some PC tools that do permit you to open Mac files on a PC, but I'm talking about what is commonly in place.)

There is no real trouble between sharing output files between Macs and PCs as long as the applications on either platform share that common file type, things like sound files and picture files and movie files often do. The real problem has been with the disk format.

If you are eMailing the files back and forth, then the disk format problems never come into play. eMail and Ethernet are often the transfer medium equalizer (not the only).

So, have fun getting MP3 files from your other music lovers (be they Mac or PC or whatever people).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.