Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP problem related to RAM

by 3lephant / May 4, 2009 11:54 AM PDT

Okay, well this weekend my computer contracted a virus (Fraud XP.Antivirus) relating to downloading a faulty copy of Avast! Antivirus. Since then I have fought the virus with Spybot S&D, AVG, and Malewarebytes. I have removed the virus and am now dealing with a more serious problem, I am getting the crash IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when trying to run system intensive programs like video games. Also, my Windows Disk Check and Windows Defragmenter are not working. So far I have tried multiple anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc. I have also tried booting in safe mode, booting with all services running, and other basic diagnostics. I am running out of ideas however.

I am running-
Dimension 8600 Pentium IV 3.4 GHZ
2 Gig RAM
Radeon X1300 256Mb
Integrated Soundmax Sound
Phoenix ROM Bios

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP problem related to RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP problem related to RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A driver problem?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 4, 2009 8:25 PM PDT

More details of the 0xA STOP Error here, (if that is what the STOP error code is);
http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

No expert myself, but it could be a driver error, and more guidance from Microsoft is below. It may help point you in the right direction;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063/

If the problem is confined to video intensive problems, has the video driver become corrupt? What does the Device Manager say?

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Memory test?
by 3lephant / May 5, 2009 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: A driver problem?

Thanks for the info, I have yet to try updating my video card, I will try that and get back too you. Also, how would I go about running a memory test?

Collapse -
I would try memtest.org
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 5, 2009 8:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Memory test?
http://www.memtest.org/

They have a memory test utility. Never used it myself but I understand from others here that it is a 'long' test, so be prepared.

The other way, and again I have never done this, is to remove all but one RAM module, test the system, replace with another, test, and so on.

Good luck.

Mark
Collapse -
Missing System File
by djosue27 / May 6, 2009 8:00 AM PDT

Im not like an expert, but I think that maybe you removed a driver or system file when you removed the virus, maybe you should use the system restore feature, to the time where you deleted your file, and try to heal the file instead of deleting it, or search for the same file on the web.

Collapse -
Repair install
by 3lephant / May 6, 2009 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Missing System File

Do you think a repair install of windows might work?

Collapse -
RE: Repair Install
by djosue27 / May 6, 2009 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Repair install

Well, when I get issues I always use the System Restore Option, but why not trying the repair install? I think it may work, because I am almost sure that it has to be with a system file deleted during your virus removal.

Collapse -
Repair install.
by 3lephant / May 6, 2009 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Repair Install

Now, should I re-format or just repair install? I have never used repair install... any tips?

Collapse -
Why not try sfc /scannow first?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 6, 2009 8:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Repair install.

This is a utility that allows Windows itself to repair/replace any system files.

How to use sfc /scannow.

You may need your XP installation CD.

With a repair install, only the Windows files are replaced, but you run the risk of losing access to many installed programs/applications. Also, it is always best to ensure your 'personal' files, photos, music, documents, etc, are backed up first.

A reformat and reinstall will replace everything.

How to perform a Windows Repair Install.

That site also has guidance for a 'clean' install.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks
by 3lephant / May 7, 2009 8:15 AM PDT

Reformating now, it's been a little over a year so why not.

Thanks so much for the help everyone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?