HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

General discussion

windows xp pro x32 to windows 7 pro x64

by kilroy2505 / November 22, 2010 8:17 PM PST

Hello there...i have a iso copy of windows 7 pro x64 from msdnn...and i tried to clean install my pc which is running on xp... but when i ran the setup.exe...an error came about which said the setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp pro x32 to windows 7 pro x64
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp pro x32 to windows 7 pro x64
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: clean install
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 22, 2010 8:38 PM PST

Did you burn the iso to DVD as an image?
Did you boot from that DVD?

Or did you try to run that setup from your Windows XP? That doesn't work.

Kees

Collapse -
by kilroy2505 / November 22, 2010 8:42 PM PST
In reply to: Re: clean install

no no....i downloaded the iso from msdn academic alliance...and i extracted the iso using a laptop and i transferred the contents to the pc which is running on xp...so when i tried to run the setup.exe....it said "the setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 22, 2010 8:46 PM PST

As I said: that doesn't work. You proved it (again). Now do it the right way, as I told.

Kees

Collapse -
by kilroy2505 / November 22, 2010 9:00 PM PST

oh woops...lol....so what i should do now is burn the iso to a dvd and boot from the dvd....hmmmm....but the problem is my dvd player is broken...sigh...thanks for the advice

Collapse -
Re: broken DVD-drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 22, 2010 9:05 PM PST

Replace it then. They aren't very expensive. It's the only way to do it.

Kees

Collapse -
Did XP ever have DVD burner drive and software?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 22, 2010 9:10 PM PST

I can't be sure, but does XP support DVD R/RW drives and software?

I know it supports DVD playback as my old XP system has a DVD drive for playing films, but Recording? Not so sure.

Mark

Collapse -
Sure it does.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 22, 2010 9:42 PM PST

All you need: a DVD-burner drive. And the burning software that comes with it (mine came with Nero). But, of course, cdburnerxp is fine also.

If the OP can find a PC (with a friend or family) that does have a burner, and he can use that to burn the iso (he might need a rather big USB-stick to bring it with him) a DVD-reader is all he needs. But if he has some more money available, he maybe better buy a burner himself.

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) OK, I stand corrected, :-)
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: Sure it does.
Collapse -
7 setup is binary incompatible..
by sk528 / November 23, 2010 11:15 AM PST

with XP - therefore, you must boot from DVD or usb drive to install

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.