Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Pro to Vista HM Premium

by ac1818 / October 2, 2010 11:05 AM PDT

Hi
Currently running XP Pro.

I have a copy of both Windows XP Pro and Vista Home Premium which would you recommend to install?

Say I installed Vista, what is the best way to backup data, personal files maybe XP if I want to revert back to it. Acronis WD Edition?

Also Will windows Vista run well and better than XP look at specs?

Asrock Conroe 945G-DVI
Intel Pentium D 805 2.66GhZ
3GB DDR 2 RAM
SATA 2 (4 cylinder) Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive
Note: Built PC
More specs here

ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/ConRoe945G-DVI.pdf

Do you think a Dual Boot would run well or would my PC become slower? Have done a couple before but was debating because I thought it might slow down my PC.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Pro to Vista HM Premium
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Pro to Vista HM Premium
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Copy of?
by MDFlax / October 2, 2010 11:29 PM PDT

I have to ask before we proceed, what do you mean by 'a copy of' both XP Pro and Vista HP?

Assuming these are the original setup disks, if you are already running XP Pro, why would you want to install it again?

To answer some of your other questions;

1] Dual Boot will not slow a PC down. Both OSs are wholly contained in their own partition or hard drive, and the non-active one does not affect the running of the active one.

2] When dual booting, ensure the older OS is installed first, then install the newer. In this case, XP first then Vista. The Vista setup will over-write XP's boot.ini for it's own boot manager to enable dual boot.

3] If you remove Vista later on, XP will become unbootable.

4] However, if you are comfortable with installing/reinstalling, then you can try whichever OS you want.

5] Just copy your personal files to some external media, eg USB hard disk or memory stick, then paste them into the new OS as you wish.

6] Don't forget with retail versions of XP Pro and Vista HP, you will need to find drivers yourself.

7] XP does not recognise SATA drives, so re-installing XP you will need to add the drivers for SATA during the setup process from a floppy disk.

Mark

Collapse -
I meant...
by ac1818 / October 3, 2010 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Copy of?

That I have purchased Vista Home Premium and I have the original CD now. Same with XP.

So Which would you recommend running If I had to choose between them?

And say I was creating a dual boot could I also just have a third partition with all my personal files while I format the other to partitions for dual boot.

Thanks

Collapse -
Yes of course.
by MDFlax / October 3, 2010 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: I meant...

Creating another partition just for personal files is possible. But I would be cautious. If the files on that partition are your only copies, then you don't have a backup. If anything happens during the installs and a partition gets wiped or corrupted, then you have lost everything. So make sure you have other copies elsewhere, preferably off the machine, onto some USB hard disk, CD/DVD or memory stick.

From the specs you gave this system does look as if it will accept Vista, but have you done a compatibility check? Sadly Microsoft's XP to Vista compatibility check is no longer available, but I believe the Vista CD/DVD itself can run a compatibility check during setup.

As to, 'which to choose', I now run Vista exclusively, (but admittedly on a new computer), and I much prefer it over XP. Vista was reported to have had 'issues' but I have experienced none of them.

Against that, dual boot is great. Some XP applications may not work in Vista, so being able to reboot into XP to run those you need is good.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks a mil. How can I shrink a partition?
by ac1818 / October 3, 2010 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes of course.

Installing Vista tomorrow
I think I might go with the dual boot. I have a 1TB HDD split into to partitions of 450Gb. I currently have XP Pro on the 1st par and my other personal files on the other

I need an extra partition for Vista so how can I shrink the partition using XP and how small would you recommend shrinking it to?

And one last question. If I wanted to install vista home prem over xp pro would you recommend doing a clean install or upgrade. I have the full version of vista not upgrade.

Thanks

Collapse -
I wouldn't, not in XP.
by MDFlax / October 4, 2010 5:37 AM PDT

XP never did partitioning very well and you would have to use a utility like gparted. Not that I have ever used it. But the risk with XP is that the OS can get corrupted.

However, Vista is much better at disk management and partitioning. I am not convinced you should even tough the XP partition though. Have a search through Google for Partitioning XP, and see what problems may arise.

Once you have Vista installed, head over to Disk Management, (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, (in the right hand pane), then Disk Management), and Vista will allow you to resize it's own partition.

Mark

Collapse -
Ok Thanks and Finally
by ac1818 / October 4, 2010 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't, not in XP.

Will I notice a performance / speed increase with Vista

Secondly can you please tell me how I can create one account "AC" in vista home premium with administrator rights like how XP handles because I don't want to have other accounts with basic controls and I will be the only user of the PC.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: administrator account
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 4, 2010 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok Thanks and Finally

We always advise to have at least TWO accounts with administrator rights, even if you only use one and are the only user and so on. An account can get corrupted, and then you can't login into it. Then it pays off to have a spare account that can do everything.

Be sure you don't forget the password!

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks Kees
by ac1818 / October 4, 2010 8:41 AM PDT

But how do I create such an account with administrator rights and name it "AC" in Vista HM like how XP lets you create it in the setup process.

Thanks

Collapse -
You may not be abe to
by MDFlax / October 4, 2010 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Kees

I haven't tried with such a small username and Vista may force you to have more than two characters.

But try it. In Start > Control Panel, User Accounts, create a new user which is Admin capable. See what happens when you type in AC.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark
by ac1818 / October 4, 2010 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: You may not be abe to

Have successfully installed Vista and am quite pleased with it. Its first look is very attractive.

Thanks for all your help. No problems so far.....

Collapse -
Good work
by MDFlax / October 4, 2010 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Mark

and I hope it goes well.

Did you do it dual boot? If so, how did that go?

Also for security and peace of mind, don't forget creating that new Admin account in Vista.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
No I changed my mind
by ac1818 / October 5, 2010 2:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Good work

I didn't go with a dual boot but may choose that later but for now I am happy with Vista.

In the setup process it allowed to me create one user account which I named "AC" and I was able to install all my programs so far with it so I presume it has administrator rights. In fact I think it does because that is what it said in the setup process.
Installing the Service packs 1 & 2 took a long time so tomorrow I will go to Windows Update and download and install the remaining updates. You would reccomend doing that right?

Overall I got a rating of 2.1 for my hardware so does that mean I don't get the aero effect?

Collapse -
Continuation discussion
by MDFlax / October 5, 2010 8:25 PM PDT

from the sub-thread here;
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6142_102-5003256.html

These discussions have a 12 post limit on sub-threads and your last post above reached that limit, so I have started a new sub-thread.

I see you chose not to dual boot. Just be aware that, if you now install XP on a new partition, the Vista OS will become unbootable. This is because XP will install a boot.ini file on the boot partition, (where Vista is), and remove Vista's own boot manager. The recommendation in these forums is always, install the older OS first, then the newer.

That 2.1 rating. I would have said that Vista Home Premium does not come with Aero, but it seems I am mistaken. Have a look at the discussion in another forum here;
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=329422&forumid=23
especially the first reply by "BurrWalnut". See if that helps.

I think downloading and installing further Windows Updates when you can is fine. They're all important, so they will be needed at some stage or other.

May I ask, does this new Vista install have a firewall, (it's own enabled or a 3rd party one)? And an anti-virus? Also you will need a couple of anti-malware scanners, not to run continuously in the background, but just to run manual scans once a week or so.

Congratulations, and I hope you enjoy your Vista.

Mark

Collapse -
I will take a note of that
by ac1818 / October 6, 2010 8:32 AM PDT

I already have a paid subscription for Trend Titanium Internet Security so I have installed that. I will get to back to you about the firewall though as I have been busy doing other things and have not explored Vista thoroughly.

By the way would it be a problem if I waited for a while before I installed Windows Updates?

Collapse -
No, shouldn't be a problem
by MDFlax / October 6, 2010 9:21 PM PDT

You may get nag screens from Vista telling you about the updates, but you can control when you download and install updates.

The risk is that any vulnerabilities discovered by Microsoft, (and other security firms), will not be corrected, but with the right protection, firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware scanners, and sensible surfing, the risks are containable for the time being. In fact most of the vulnerabilities that are found don't really affect the majority of users, and we rarely see any problems when they are discovered.

Mark

Collapse -
Checked
by ac1818 / October 8, 2010 4:17 PM PDT

Yes it does have Windows Firewall, which is turned on by default and I think it has Windows Defender as well.

Can you please help me with this question.
Is there anything wrong with this Install plan as I forgot to install the drivers and installed them later. Pls see below

SERVICE PACK 1
SERVICE PACK 2
VIRGIN MOBILE
TREND TITANIUM
DRIVERS
- VGA
- Realtek
- Glan

Thanks

Collapse -
Not sure what you mean
by MDFlax / October 8, 2010 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Checked

If everything is working fine now, even if certain drivers were installed later, then I don't see a problem. It is usual to install drivers first, before anything else, but usually that fact becomes self-evident. For example if you haven't installed video drivers and the display is the generic 800 x 600 VGA display, it is obvious you need video card drivers. But if your system is good, then... good, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks that was what I wanted to know
by ac1818 / October 9, 2010 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure what you mean
Collapse -
Performance Event Viewer
by ac1818 / October 16, 2010 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Not sure what you mean

Hi Mark,

When I check event viewer I saw many issues listed there including event ids 100, 200, 101, 110 and many more. One of them has something to do with boot duration on shutdown and another had to do with boot duration on startup. Those were event IDs 200 and 100. Do you know of any links that I could use to find solutions of causes for these? And do you know anything about it?

Thanks

Collapse -
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2010 3:18 PM PDT

Many of those events I've tracked down over the years have been a bad install of XP. Most can't get a good install procedure from the machine's maker. For EXAMPLE read HP's guide for one unit:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7587_102-271360.html#2699006

That's no less than 10 steps for a proper install and there are at least that many more before anyone is done.

What's eating up a lot of lost time is that Windows does not offer any tools to correct this.
Bob

Collapse -
Oh No Sorry
by ac1818 / October 16, 2010 8:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.

Forgot to mention that this applies to WIndows Vista not XP. Should I post a new tread in the Vista forum?

Collapse -
The same issue applies to Vista.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2010 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh No Sorry

The driver issues apply to Vista and 7 too. It's turning out to be that one thing (there is actually a second thing too) that causes folk issues like I read here.

You could post a new discussion in the right forum but the question about the OS install procedure should be asked very fast unless you supply the 10 or more drivers you installed after this OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by ac1818 / October 18, 2010 4:48 PM PDT

I will consider your answer but may I please ask whether this is occuring due to my windows updates not being installed yet on vista? I disabled window updates as I like to do it manually and I have not installed any yet apart from Service Pack 1 and 2. I am planning to do it ASAP

Collapse -
Hard to answer. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2010 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

It's all about the drivers. For example XP had machines that drivers would not install until you installed SP1 or SP2. This created quite a lot of lost time as folk usually do not want to create an install procedure.

But events in the event viewer can be trouble for some owners as some want no events. Those folk rarely can be helped as events are the norm and I've yet to find a machine with no events. Here's what I do with Events. Unless there is a real issue I ignore most event entries. I'm sure the purist or the perfectionist will want zero events listed but the realist or the more practical folk will learn to use the machine and research "what it means" over time.
Bob

Collapse -
Could it possibly be this?
by ac1818 / October 21, 2010 4:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
What driver?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2010 11:44 PM PDT

Your link is not clickable (it's a forum feature) so to save time, name that driver.
Bob

Collapse -
Its the inf driver by Intel I think
by ac1818 / October 22, 2010 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: What driver?

Here is the link again if it tells you more about it but I thinks its the inf driver by Intel for chipset.

Here

Motherboard
Asrock Conroe 945G-DVI

Collapse -
That's one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2010 8:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
So how does this apply to my situation
by ac1818 / October 22, 2010 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: That's one.

Sorry, but I am a bit confused. What is the link for and how did you pick up speed on the machine? What does that have to do with my situation and how does that relate to whether my question Post 26.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2010 3:10 AM PDT

I see all this seems confusing. I had hope that sharing my finding and sharing the link to the Intel product would give you enough detail.

At this point I see this is not enough and think you should DEMAND those that sold you this machine supply a document on how to properly install Windows on your machine.

Good luck,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?