Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Pro software did not pass genuine validation

by epacris / August 21, 2009 12:48 PM PDT

My Windows XP Pro (after 3 months use by me) has come up with a notice that my software validation is invalid. The Notice states "This copy of Windows did not pass genuine validation.The product key found on this computer is not valid for use in your region." I bought the computer second hand (with Win XP installed) from an interstate seller who has had over 500 sales and 100% positive feedback.How can I find out if any software I buy is valid for my region prior to purchase? Surely if Microsoft software is purchased anywhere in the world it should be valid no matter where you are. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Pro software did not pass genuine validation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Pro software did not pass genuine validation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Genuine, but doesn't pass....
by Rivergoat / August 21, 2009 1:33 PM PDT

I have read where some OEM software, while the real thing, does not pass the validation. Probably due to errors, glitches, and what have you. It seems MSFT isn't that worried about what they consider a small amount of such instances (harrummph). MSFT may help you if you contact them, but if not do a web search, there are some work arounds to this problem.

Collapse -
It happens
by Jimmy Greystone / August 21, 2009 1:51 PM PDT

It happens, and false positives are actually quite a bit more common than Microsoft would like people to believe. If you're certain your copy of Windows is legit, then just call the activation hotline and they should be able to manually verify it for you, as well as take care of the rest.

Collapse -
If I were to bet. The seller use a VLK
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2009 10:15 PM PDT

Sadly, because of piracy and more, the most common reason for this is the VLK had to be invalidated. If you have such a VLK and the license is valid them MSFT will issue you a new key. The old key you have will fail again if you try to use it.

Example MSFT response at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/4701a7c1-7096-421b-866c-57cb70225dcb

I'll copy the text here just in case,
Bob

"Based on your MGA Diagnostic results you have a geographically blocked PID. A "Geographically blocked PID" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Please visit Compaq Technical Support and request them to send you the recovery media for your paticular model of computer. This will allow you to restore the computer as if it were new."

Collapse -
Compaq Technical Support won't help.
by beevguy / June 9, 2011 2:30 AM PDT

They simply tell you the machine is out of date and no longer supported by them. I have a 10yo. Compaq Presario purchased from Comp-USA by my business with all the original credit card receipts etc. The PO clearly states that I purchased the unit with Windows XP pro and the unit came with an XP recovery disc but the license on the bottom of the unit is for Windows ME, not XP. The unit was even sent back to Compaq for service, several times under warranty and there were never any issues. Recently when I loaded security updates, Windows invalidated my copy of XP. Neither Compaq or MS have been any help.... MS directs me to Compaq, Compaq simply tells me they're no longer responsible to me for this machine. I've had Compaq or HP machines dating back to the early 80's when a portable computer weighed 35lbs and I just bought my first Dell... I'll never buy another HP or Compaq product, personally or professionally.

I recommend you buy a comparable dead unit off ebay with a valid license....

Collapse -
Good or bad news?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2011 2:42 AM PDT

You may not being buying any make machine since I've yet to find 10 year support from any maker.

As to using the restore media, I have yet to encounter the license failing. However it is bound to happen.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.