HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Pro Shut down

by malc-barry / November 22, 2005 1:47 AM PST

Hi to All cnet teckno?s

I am running Winn XP Pro. The other day I was doing my hard drive maintenance I.E. virus check then defrag, and after I had performed my maintenance I went to shut down my PC, so I clicked on start\turnoff computer, and the turn off computer box appears, and you should get THREE options, you can either Stand By or Shut Down or Restart. My problem is, I can not shut down my PC, I can only Turn off or Restart, so on shutting down my PC when it gets to the bios screen it reboots, very annoying, so I have to keep my finger on the start button to switch off. So please can any one HELP or explain, what I have done wrong and how to put it right. Many thanks to any one that replies.

M Barry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Pro Shut down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Pro Shut down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Files
by PKsteven / November 22, 2005 1:57 AM PST

It is possible you either installed a program recently, Norton auto protect, or deleted a file, a registry error, could be many things. I would try the simple route and do a system restore to a point before this. Many people scoff at SR but it comes in very handy in a case like yours. Also try to think of what you may have done differently or added, etc...

Hope this helps, Paul

Collapse -
Try ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 1:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Shut down problem
by sabyasachi_lawyer / November 22, 2005 2:03 AM PST

U can try a system restore or entering your operating system via 'last known good configuration' by pressing the F8 key while booting. See if it works.
Otherwise repair or reinstall your operating system from the original cd.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.