Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Pro Logical Disk Manager DForeign Import Problems

I installed XP Pro from Win2K Pro and have two dynamic disks that XP Pro sees in the Disk Manager but lists them as Dynamic Foreign. I have used Diskpart and have done the rescan and import and it completes successfully but when I go and look under the Disk Manager there isn't any change. If I do an import in the Disk Management or using mmc I get a message about not having enough memory available to complete the operation, even though I have the virtual memory set at 4095 and I have ! GB of real memory. I can see the drives in Device Manager of System and they are listed under a SCSI controller. One is a 13 GB and the other is a 160 GB. My current system C: Drive is a 100 GB IDE. I really need to be able to get at the data on these drives so any help is appreciated.

John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Pro Logical Disk Manager DForeign Import Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Pro Logical Disk Manager DForeign Import Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sadly,

In reply to: Windows XP Pro Logical Disk Manager DForeign Import Problems

I ran into this when the owner was using a foriegn disk partitioning tool. We eventually had to use that tool on the old machine, add these drives and copy the files over the network from the old Windows 2000 install.

Maybe there was another way but the disk partition support didn't know what to offer us other than that.

There's a lesson here. Take it and "never" do that again. There's another lesson about backup. Hard disks are not backup devices.

Bob

Collapse -
Dynamic Foreign Disk Drive Issue Going W2K Pro To XP Pro

In reply to: Sadly,

When I installed the new XP Pro I had switched my CD/DVD reader/writer from the SCSI controller to the second IDE port on my MB because of having problems reading from the CD. I should have left everything HDW wise alone and just installed the SCSI driver when called for in the XP Pro install. So this morning out of curiosity I decided to put everything back to the original HDW alignment which was to just swap the CD/DVD unit back to the SCSI controller and the 160 GB IDE back to the second IDE port on my MB which put everything back to the way it was when I had the W2K System. Voila, everything is good now. Logical Disk manager sees the drives and I am able to get at all of the data. Go figure. A swap of one drive from SCSI to IDE and everything is good. I didn't even have to do an import, it saw everything like it was back on the W2K system.

John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.