Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Pro Install Problems

by moundtown / September 11, 2006 7:08 AM PDT

I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro on a Dell computer that had a hard drive crash. I replaced the hard drive but now receive errors when trying to install XP. XP Pro ran fine on the computer before the HD crash so I know the computer is compatible.

When I run the installation disc, and after the initial loading of drivers etc.., I get the following errors.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF9AB69C5, 0x59e7d108,0Xf9e7ceo4)

SERIAL - ADDRESS F9AB69C5 BASE F9AB2000, DATESTAMP 41107F17

Does anyone here know what might be causing this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Pro Install Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Pro Install Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The error only says...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 7:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks but...
by moundtown / September 11, 2006 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: The error only says...

The computer has only one stick of ram and no usb devices. Only a graphics card, sound card, and Ethernet card.

Collapse -
What can be removed?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks but...

We can try the BIOS defaults, no ethernet card and no sound card to see if that gets us further along.

If that doesn't work then you need to find the bad parts.

Bob

Collapse -
New errors
by moundtown / September 11, 2006 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: What can be removed?

I removed the ethernet and sound cards and the setup went further this time. Now it gives "setup cannot copy the file" errors. If I skip the file it just brings up the same error on the next file.

Collapse -
That's better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: New errors

That points to (usually) aging CDROM drives or smudges on the XP CD. Yours is silver in color, right?

Bob

Collapse -
Both are new
by moundtown / September 11, 2006 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: That's better.

The CD drive is only a month old and the disc is silver but it's a new disc with no imperfections.

Collapse -
That leaves the other parts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Both are new

Try a memory test such as MEMTEST86.

Collapse -
memtest
by moundtown / September 11, 2006 11:23 AM PDT

The memtest86 has been running for over an hour and has not found any errors at this point. How long does the test take to complete?

Collapse -
It never ends.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: memtest

What we need to know is that XP slides onto good hardware. Something is amiss or we tripped up the XP install by formatting the drive with something other than XP.

The only clue we have so far is that failed copy.

If you can, duplicate the XP CD and use the duplicate. This fresh copy might be more readable.

Bob

Collapse -
Never Ends?
by moundtown / September 11, 2006 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: It never ends.

The memtest has been running for over two hours now and shows no errors. As for good hardware. Before the hard drive crash, a few days ago, the computer was running XP Pro perfectly. The only hardware change is the new hard drive which I formatted with the XP setup disc. The file copy problem makes no sense to me. It will copy a dozen or so files then give an error for one, copy several more then another cannot copy error. I can't believe that the disc is the problem as it is new and has been used to install XP on another computer without a problem.

Collapse -
That's a great clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Never Ends?

But first, we're done with memtest86. Just tap escape or just reboot.

Try the copy of your XP CD and if that fails swap out the CD drive. New or not doesn't matter. They can cause this issue. Same for cables, jumpers on the CDROM drive (and people will claim it worked before so I always recheck it), CD/DVD lens cleaner and such.

You're close. Just need to find the bad part in this brew.

Bob

Collapse -
All Fixed!
by moundtown / September 11, 2006 3:56 PM PDT
In reply to: That's a great clue.

I couldn't believe that a brand new disc would be the problem but I made a copy of it and the copy worked perfectly. I'm just glad I have enough sense to listen to those who know more about these things than I do. Thank you Bob, I really appreciate your help.

Collapse -
Rather than leave it a mystery, tell about the machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 9:44 AM PDT

Maybe we'll find something like an over 127GB hard disk that is not supported by Windows XP.

Bob

Collapse -
The Machine
by moundtown / September 11, 2006 11:31 AM PDT

The computer is a Dell Pentium 4, 1.5 Ghz, 256MB SDRAM, and the hard drive is 80GB and the same make and model as one I have running in another computer running XP Pro.

Collapse -
That can be years old. Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: The Machine

Such as your cleaning of the fans, heatsinks, repairs, jumper settings of the hard disk, color of the ide connectors and what each is connected to.

Bob

Collapse -
XP Pro error message
by kwkid / September 11, 2006 1:50 PM PDT

Hey Bob, Moundtown,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this one, but I had the exact same issues with an XP Pro install. I found that if I kept hitting retry, it would sometimes finally read the particular file it was trying to load at the time.

I took the CD to a different computer and it worked perfectly so I was able to rule out the CD. I then swapped out the CD drive and I was able to load without problems.

The strange thing is, the CD Drive wasn't bad per se, it just had problems with that XP Pro CD for some reason. I put that CD Drive back in the system and it has been running for almost two years without problems.

Again, sorry to jump in the middle here, but I hope this might help explain the situation a little bit.

Good Luck

Collapse -
And a great example why I noted to...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: XP Pro error message

Duplicate the XP CD and try the dupe.

Bob

Collapse -
Copy CD
by kwkid / September 11, 2006 2:11 PM PDT

Yeah, I saw that post, I just wasn't sure if that was why you were saying that. Sorry, didn't mean to step on any toes, just thought my experience might "flesh out" the details.

Collapse -
Thanks for contributing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 2:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Copy CD

Your post helped share another real world example of that issue.

Thanks,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?