HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Pro Blank Screen

by mikep99 / October 25, 2004 11:35 AM PDT

Hi I am having problems booting up into windows. Computer boots up normally and windows XP screen appears with process bar flashing then screen goes blank and nothing happens no matter how long I leave computer on.
I have tried booting with Last good Configuration - Same problem. If I boot in safe mod computer boots into windows no problem.
I have tried repositioning AGP card & also using PCI video card but same problem occurs. Any help on what I should try would be great.
Tks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Pro Blank Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Pro Blank Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows XP Pro Blank Screen
by datalookup / October 25, 2004 12:17 PM PDT

When you boot into Safe Mode, check the Device Manager to see if there is a problem with the video display adapter driver. You may need to re-install this driver. Also Run Check Disk to verify that the drive is error free. Check the BIOS setting for the video adapter under Peripherals. If you are using the AGP Card, see that it is configured in the BIOS settings to use the AGP port when booting up. Also if you're using the PCI Card, see that it is set in the BIOS settings to use the PCI port. Please write back with the results and any other problems you may be encountering. There are people here at the forum who will find the solution you need.

Collapse -
by Merl Priester / October 25, 2004 12:28 PM PDT

Power off, if you have cards NIC, SCSI whatever they are, pull them out (write down what slot they were in).
Except your VID card.

Unplug ALL USB devices. Try booting.
If the problem is still there, go to SAFE mode again, try a system restore to when it was working OK.

If this fixes it, put the cards back in one at a time to see if any of them causes it.

If pulling the cards was all that was needed, then don't do the restore, just replace the cards one at a time. If you are using the onboard NIC and Sound, go into the BIOS and turn them off instead of pulling htem in the first place.

You didn't say what if you did anything before this happened, like changing drivers of installing hardware or software.

You might also look in MSCONFIG and see what is running.

Uncheck all of it to start with if necessary and start adding things back if that fixes it.

It is just a process of elimination.

Collapse -
View the content of this . . .
by Cursorcowboy / October 26, 2004 12:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
by mikep99 / October 26, 2004 7:18 AM PDT

Fixed - All it was, was a problem with my USB ADSL modem. When I unplugged it and rebooted it booted up no problems. I uninstalled modem & re-installed it and everything is now OK. Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
by Ray42 / October 27, 2004 6:58 AM PDT

Try Changing the Resolution may be set to one that is not supported by your monitor. Try (800x600)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.