Windows XP Power outage

Windows XP Pro, Media Center 2005 with Update Rollup 2
Microsoft Service Pack 2
Athlon 64 (V) 3400+
2.2 GHz
Memory Installed 512 MB
100 GB Hard Drive with 78 GB free space
I.E. 6.0, SP2

On my old W98SE machine whenever there was a power failure and the machine turned off, it would stay off until I pressed the Power button. It would then scan the disk for errors and fix them if any were found.

On this WXP machine, when there is a power failure it turns off and immediately comes back on (the power is usually only off for a second or two) and it does not scan the disk for errors.

First, where is the option to not have the machine turn on automatically after a power failure? I know I saw this somewhere when I was exploring different things when I first got this machine, but can't remember where.

Second, is it good practice to have the machine come on automatically after a power failure?

Third, should I run check disk whenever this happens? I have been doing it, but don't know if it's really necessary.

Would appreciate any advice.

Shirley

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Power outage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Power outage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No worries. . .

In reply to: Windows XP Power outage

XP is designed around the NTFS file system and is much more stable. It's designed to restart, then it does a short diagnostic and if necessary will perform a chkdsk. Because NTFS is so much more stable, error checking is rarely needed.

Leave it be.

But if you just have to mess with it, go here:

Control Panel, System, click the Advanced tab, on the Setup and Recovery, click Settings. Under System Failure, uncheck Automatically Restart.

Have you considered getting a UPS?

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and
digital data, internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
No worries...

In reply to: No worries. . .

Thanks, Wayne, for the info. I knew that XP had a NTFS file system, but didn't know the rest. Thank you for explaining. I will leave it be.

As far as the UPS, I did some checking at Powerware.com (a Google search) and learned a lot about them. It looks like I would only want one that would get the PC running about 7 minutes and it costs $95.00. Since we get a lot of strong winds here the power does go off a lot, so I will look into it further.

I did lose my audio a few months ago when the power went off and had to reinstall the driver. To be honest, I didn't know anything about UPS's until now.

Thanks to you and Grif.

Shirley

Collapse -
Just a note if you're still here. . .

In reply to: No worries...

Look at a Belkin unit. It comes with software that will monitor incoming power. Really nice as it will notice the power loss, monitor battery level, and when the level gets to a certain point (set by you), it will turn the PC off normally. I use one on my PC and one on my web server. As another note, I also use a Belkin surge protector in front of my UPSs.

Collapse -
Like Wayne Said....You Might Want To Get A UPS...

...a battery backup... You never know when that power failure might cause some real damage.. If you're getting such failures frequently, a UPS is in order.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Safe shutdown/restart

I would follow Coryphaeus lead, but add this advise. Under the bios section(read manual on how to get into bios) and verify the power loss reboot option(disable) or related, then save upon exit of bios.

Under the recovery/restart section for XP OS that was pointed out, that's for an system error and again you may not want it enabled. However, the bios option is more direct and it gets acted upon first and is directly power related upon boot-up. The XP OS option is reverse at powers loss won't restart and shuts down. You later *manually* need to reboot using the power button.

On a last note, don't skip on an UPS when you buy one. As it seems you have re-occurring power loss, get a heavy duty or more than you'll ever need model not only for time gain level but greater protection as better models go. Use only your system on the UPS, not any printer, btw.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Battery Backup

In reply to: Safe shutdown/restart

Yes, I have a Belkin SurgeMaster. Thought that was all I needed for protection against power outages. I will certainly look into a UPS--sounds like something I definitely need. Not today though, we woke up to 10 inches of snow this morning, and it's still coming down! That makes a total of 36" in two weeks so far. As I'm typing this the few flurries have turned into a blizzard. I can't even see the mountains. and the sky is pure white. Oh, to be back in Arizona. (:

Willy, I went into the BIOS under POWER and this is what was listed:

After ACPower failure: AUTO (couldn't figure out how to change to DISABLE) so I left it at AUTO
WOL in S4: DISABLED (Haven't a clue what this is) I will check HP's website and find out.

For now I will leave everything as it is and purchase a UPS as soon as the weather clears up--maybe next month. LOL

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Shirley

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.