Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Password???

by stltcorrea / September 15, 2004 5:54 AM PDT

Help.........
I recently updated/installed some software on my computer. After doing so it asked me to reboot once i rebooted it came up with a username and password screen. I did not do that before. It will not let me get passed this. I need my computer! When i called Microsoft they said i needed the Windows XP disc well that would be great but my computer came with it installed. I have no recovery disc either. Can someone tell me how to get pass this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Password???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Password???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why no XP CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows XP Password???

Do tell. I want to know. Make/model number please.

If you've locked yourself out there's...

http://www.lostpassword.com

But you will need a XP CD someday, let's work on that.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Why no XP CD?
by skippyd333 / September 16, 2004 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Why no XP CD?

I have a key finder. Bob is there a way to use it in dos? skip

Collapse -
Why do we need a key finder?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Why no XP CD?

You didn't answer my question. But I know of no dos based method.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Why no XP CD?
by stltcorrea / September 17, 2004 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Why no XP CD?

Well our computer came with it already installed so it came with a recory CD but that is not working.

Collapse -
Re: Windows XP Password???
by glb613 / September 15, 2004 7:04 AM PDT

Even with XP factory installed, computer companies supply the operating system CD or a restore/recovery set and the product key number with each computer sold. If you can't find yours, you can be in for some real problems. You also should have the CDs for the hardware drivers and factory installed software. You need to contact the manufacturer of your computer and request a replacement set. You may have to pay a fee but, it is well worth it. If you ever need to repair or reinstall XP or otherwise fix your computer, without those CDs, you can't.

Collapse -
by Merl Priester / September 15, 2004 7:39 AM PDT

Boot into safe mode, it should show the accounts again, only this time the administrator account will show.

Hopefully, there is no admin password. If you get in here you can change your account to no password.

If after removing any password from your account, you still can't get in, create a 3rd account login with that and move all your files to it.

Collapse -
by stltcorrea / September 17, 2004 3:11 AM PDT

The only problem with that is that it will not let me in the computer at all it ends at the password screen. If you push cancel it acts like it will continue but it does not it shuts down and goes into reboot then password all over again.

Collapse -
by mansoor7890 / September 16, 2004 8:52 PM PDT

Hello my name is mansoor.
I have a trick. It may work.
If your computer is desktop,
simply remove your hard disk and fix it to another computer as a secondry drive hard drive.
Then start the computer and atleast you can save your files and make a backup of your hard drive.

Collapse -
by stltcorrea / September 17, 2004 3:13 AM PDT

Will it boot? As a secondary drive with Windows XP? And then how do i get it back to the desktop computer?

Collapse -
by 001943 / September 17, 2004 5:04 AM PDT

i have the same problem as you after i downloaded the new sp2 xp program. sorry i did now. what i have to do is click on my usuer name and wait like 20-30 minutes untill my screen name comes up then use like normal. if someone finds the simple answer please let us now thanks. karl

Collapse -
by kjleitch / September 17, 2004 7:27 AM PDT

When you boot you computer press the f8 key every 1/2 second to get the boot menu. Choose the method " The last known good operation or windows program" If this doesn't work than you will have to boot with a Windows98 boot floopy or CD to get into dos mode. Then you can type (scanreg /fix) or (scanreg /restore)and go from there. This will only work if you have installed winxp while using win98. If winxp is the only OS on the drive the follow the method above in the first section (pressing the f8 key every 1/2 second while the computer is booting and the choose safemode or bootlogging mode which is for domain controllers but disregard that notice and do it anyways, you will get a series of questions to respond to for different methods to recover your system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?