Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP on Macs?

by Starlight1013 / April 2, 2005 7:08 AM PST

I have a PC laptop now, but it looks like I'm going to be getting a Mac when I go to college next year. I was wondering if it's possible to get the Windows XP operating system onto a Macintosh? I have an XP Pro CD, so could I just load it on with that?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP on Macs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP on Macs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Square peg for a round hole.
by Papa Echo / April 2, 2005 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: Windows XP on Macs?

It may go in, but not fit.

Collapse -
Yes and no
by Yew / April 2, 2005 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: Windows XP on Macs?

You can't run XP natively on Mac hardware. The architectures are just too fundamentally different.

What you CAN do, is buy a copy of something such as Microsoft's VirtualPC for the Mac, and run XP in an emulator. Even if you get a top of the line dual G5 PowerMac system, XP will run slowly in an emulator.

So my advice would be to find alternatives to the software you presently use for the Mac platform. If you look hard enough, you'll find something for just about every need. Sometimes it's not as good, sometimes it's vastly better, most of the time it's about the same.

Collapse -
thanks
by Starlight1013 / April 2, 2005 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: Yes and no

Okay, thanks for replying. I guess I just wanted to see if I could find an alternative to having to learn a whole new operating system. I'll probably just stick with what is on the Mac.

Collapse -
OS X is like Windows done right
by Yew / April 2, 2005 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

Honestly, the bulk of the "innovative" ideas Microsoft comes up with for Windows, are blatently stolen from the Mac platform. You should be able to figure out most things within an hour, and the rest will come with time.

Collapse -
Two things I don't like in Mac environment...
by Melati Hitam / April 2, 2005 1:48 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

First, You can not resize windows by dragging just any corner or any edges.. (I mean, you can only drag the bottom right corner, to resize)

Second, the mouse/cursor movement is slow.. even the in the fastest setting... (I guess this is because of precision thing - 1:1 scale)

The other is about the same..
all basic software are available in both environment.. (Office, Adobe, etc.)
But, You will not find 'Game' for mac as much as for the PC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.