Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP not shutting down- System Hangs

by jeffbr77k / May 15, 2006 6:44 PM PDT

I have recently purchased a Sony VAIO FE550G series laptop.
Initially it had Windows XP Media Center Edition and worked perfect
but unfortunately that O/S is of no use to me. So I formated the drive
and installed Windows XP Professional Version 2002.
It was working fine unitil I installed drivers from the sony/
site. Actually they haven't given me any drivers with the system they were
actually in the system but i forgot to write them down on the CD
and formatted the system, so i lost them. Therefore i have to download them
from the site.
When i installed the drivers, wireless, network adpaters, video, audio, display
my system started HANGING when it reaches "Windows is shutting down" screen
and i have to hold the power button to shut it down. Cntrl+Alt+Del doesn't work
and cursor gets stuck. I tried to uninstall and re-install the drivers but its
not working out.
I have no idea were i have gone wrong.
Can anyone please me on this, its really annoying

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time and help in Advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP not shutting down- System Hangs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP not shutting down- System Hangs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You wrote:
by glb613 / May 15, 2006 7:45 PM PDT

"When i installed the drivers, wireless, network adpaters, video, audio, display my system started HANGING "

Are the drivers for XP Pro?

Collapse -
by jeffbr77k / May 15, 2006 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: You wrote:

No mate
I just found out that they are for
windows xp media center edition , so is that the main problem ,
if then cant i get the drivers for my system model in XP professional?
Is this my dead end??
thank u very much for your advice

Collapse -
You said......
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 15, 2006 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply:

"So I formated the drive
and installed Windows XP Professional Version 2002.
It was working fine unitil I installed drivers from the sony/

Two questions, and sorry but I have to ask the first one;

1] Is this a genuine copy of XP Pro?

2] If you formatted the drive and installed XP Pro, which worked perfectly, can you not repeat that process? If not, why not?

Collapse -
Thnks for your time
by jeffbr77k / May 15, 2006 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: You said......

Its a 100% Genuine Copy of Win XP Prof
as its the CD from my Company, so nothing wrong with that.
I can definately format the C drive again, no problem with that,
but my question is i need to install all the drivers again, so where can i obtain them for Win XP Prof ??
Just for more information i'm giving the link below which i have downloaded the drivers from, and which tells that the drivers are only for XP MCE .
thank u very much, sorry for giving the link down to look over

Collapse -
OK, thanks for that John
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 15, 2006 8:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Thnks for your time

Generally an XP Pro CD comes with it's own drivers to make the Operating System work.

However, Microsoft does not do drivers for peripherals, like video cards, sound cards, monitor, (if separate), printer, keyboard and mouse, etc, so you will need to go to the manufacturers of each of those to get the drivers.

This site, might be useful, but you will need to register before you can download any drivers.

I am still a little confused. If your Company gave you this XP Pro CD for their computer that you are using, would their IT Techs not have the drivers as well?

It seems like you are being left with a lot of work to do for a Company computer.

Collapse -
thanks to you mate
by jeffbr77k / May 15, 2006 9:13 PM PDT

I should thank you Mark for your time and valuable advice.
Actually, its my personal laptop and i requested the company for the O/S CD. I dont know whether they have the system(audio, video, etc...) drivers anyway i'll enquire them..
if not i'll follow the link you have provided .
So, its long way to go ..
thanks for giving hope that there is still light and this not my dead end..
I'm really thankful to u, Mark for your quick responses and help

Collapse -
Terribly sorry
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 15, 2006 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks to you mate

I'm sorry but I have to lock this thread.

You say there is nothing wrong with using the Company's XP Pro CD, but if you are using it for your own personal computer then that is wrong.

Company XP CD's are purchased under license for business purchased PC's and use. They are not transferrable to private PC's.

Seeking advice for such workarounds in these forums is against forum policy, so I have end this discussion now.

My apologies. If you think I am in error, please feel free to email me through my profile.

Collapse -
ok sorry then,
by jeffbr77k / May 15, 2006 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Terribly sorry

just continuing our previous conversation.
when i said "as its the CD from my Company, so nothing wrong with that." I meant nothing wrong with the CD not with the process. I do know that we can't use Company CD's for personal purposes but just for additional information my company's director himself gave this O/S CD as he is aware that i'll be working from home. And my laptop is basically bought the company's work.
Anyway, if i'm in wrong sorry about that, i was not aware about the forum policy

Collapse -
It's also possible it's legit.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 15, 2006 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: ok sorry then,

Hi, John.

My University site license specifically allows employees and students to install MS software on their home computers; the same is true of our anti-virus site license from CA. So it's quite possible the that the company site license allows you to install the software at home legitimately, and the director knew that.
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
by jeffbr77k / May 15, 2006 11:00 PM PDT

Thanks for your understanding
Actually, thats what happened, O/S CD worked properly when it was installed on my old Laptop and this the second time my Director gave me the CD.
Thanks for your time mate

Collapse -
You've repeated my Sony experiences.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2006 11:16 PM PDT

The quick answer is that you don't have the proper drivers. The issue I've encountered with Sony is that they don't support installing any other OS onto their products.

If Sony won't provide proper drivers the only workaround I've found is to restore it with the restore CDs and then with your XP PRO SP2 CD either attempt an upgrade or a PARALLEL INSTALL so I can access the old OS to pilfer what drivers I can.

None of this is going to be described in this small space but the bottom line is Sony is the the issue. You need to become a pest and thorne in their sides till they deliver the drivers.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?