Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Networking problem.

by jnanas / January 28, 2004 11:01 AM PST

I was working on a friends computer the other day, on a problem that i havent seen before. The computer is running roadrunner cable internet service provider, never had a problem before. One day it just stopped working, i log onto windows and i notice it has an automatically assigned IP address, one of those 169.254.*.* that Windows loves to assign. I try to do an ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew and it tells me some message like "The command was trying to be executed on something that isnt a socket" or some message to that nature. This is my first time running into this kind of a problem, what can i do to fix it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Networking problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Networking problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows XP Networking problem. Is this a NT/2000 issue as well?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2004 11:22 AM PST

In short, one could GUESS what that error message was. I will not guess this since you can write it down and supply it intact, and please "in quotes."

http://www.wown.com has all the usual setups.
http://support.microsoft.com has searches for their errors.

But I see that a simple issue can be easily fixed by removing the TCPIP protocol (control panel, networking) and then adding it back in.

If your network card or cable is DEFECTIVE or drivers missing, the articles at http://www.google.com/search?&q=xp+169+ip+address+auto+assigned give you great clues that it's a flub in some way that the DHCP didn't work. Whether it's the cable, card, driver is up to you to sort out since Microsoft won't tell you this.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Windows XP Networking problem.
by cambo / July 28, 2004 10:11 AM PDT

i'm having the exact same problem. did you resolve this? how? please help?

Collapse -
No information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2004 10:14 AM PDT

Your post is much too light. No story and no description of your network. Did it ever work?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: No information.
by cambo / July 28, 2004 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: No information.

home network, road runner through a hub, have 98 comp., me comp, and xp comp home networked (hard wired)to hub. all were communicating and accessing internet fine. one day xp doesn't connect to internet and doesn't connect to network. tried several things.......
only clue i have is i can't renew or release ip address error message something like blah blah was attempted on something that is not a socket. help...please

Collapse -
test
by cambo / July 28, 2004 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: No information.

pinged 127.0.0.1 sent 4 and received 4 still no networking

Collapse -
Cable modem to HUB = Invalid setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2004 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: No information.

You'll need a router.

Its a common gaffe. Wish someone would document it as an invalid configuration.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.