Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Networking Problem

by mrslippy / February 15, 2007 12:17 AM PST

Hey there everyone:) Hope someone will take the time to read this and help...I will try to explain in as clear a way as possible:)
So, i have 3 Pcs in my house, Lets call them PC1, 2 and 3. PC 1 is running XP Pro, 2 is running XP Media Center Edition, and 3 is running XP Pro. I have them all set up on a small home network, set up shared folders, and used the networking utility. They are all connected to the internet with a broadband router/hub...that is to say, the internet goes into the router, and from there, out to the 3 computers with 3 crossover cables (the router has 4 connections, 3 are being used currently). The problem is this. PC1, and PC2 have no problem communicating with each other, they can both see each other on the network, and share files. PC3 can see PC1, and PC2, and get into their shared folders without a problem. Also, if I try to Ping PC 3 from either PC1, or PC2, I have no problems, there doesnt seem to be a firewall problem, as the Ping is being recieved, and I tried turning off the firewall on PC3, just to make sure it wasnt interfering.
HOWEVER. Altho PC1 and PC2 can see PC3 on the MSHOME workgroup computers network, neither of them can get into PC3 (which is wierd, as PC3 can get into both PC1, and PC2, and is Ping-able). When I click on the PC3 icon on the workgroup computers screen, I get the standard error message:
'PC3 Is not accessable. You Might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server if you have access permissions. Access is denied'
All computers are logged in with administrator privelidges...and I know that if something wasnt set up right, I wouldnt be able to access PC1 and PC2 from PC3 on the same network...so, whats going on? Why do I only have 1 way access from PC3? Ive been searching the forums, trying various fixes, but nothing works so far...can anyone help me to solve this annoying problem?
Thanks in advance, and if you need any futher info, please dont hesitate to ask if it helps me to solve the problem, I would really appreciate it:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Networking Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Networking Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That can be proper if...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 12:25 AM PST
Collapse -
Still Problems...
by mrslippy / February 15, 2007 2:00 AM PST

Hey Bob,
Thanks for your response:)
I have changed the user accounts on all 3 PCs, they all have the same name, with admin privilidges...but if that were the problem before, how come PC1 and 2 were able to talk to each other, and not PC3...wouldnt that indicate something up with PC3?
Firewall on PC3 is off, and file and printer sharing is on all 3 pcs...I scanned the 3 pages of the link you sent, but nothing coming up as of yet in order to tell me what Im doing wrong:)
Hope you can come up with any more suggestions, and I have no problem posting any extra info you would need to help me solve this...sorry to keep asking you, but hope you, or someone else knows whats up...

Collapse -
Sorry, but details are slim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: Still Problems...

For instance I didn't read you deleted then recreated the share on PC3.

That prior covers all the usuals so be sure you have those under control.

Bob

Collapse -
Slim details?
by mrslippy / February 15, 2007 6:16 AM PST

Thanks for responding:)
If details are slim, then what details would you need in order to help you further? I have no problem posting more info, I just dont know what specifically you need in order to help you out:)

Collapse -
I'm not in need of help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: Slim details?

I leave the person with the issue to supply the details. You should supply at least what the forum note asks for. This is not a tech support line so you have to pitch in and just reveal what you can.

Bob

Collapse -
jeez bob...
by mrslippy / February 15, 2007 7:54 AM PST

Thanx for the 'advice':)
Strange, cause what I see in red letters above says please include your system info, operating system, and specifics relating to the problem...which I thought I did, and offered to leave more info if needed....how am I supposed to know what more info you think is useful if you dont tell me what you think is needed to add?
And as for not being in need of help...thats right, you're not, and I am...so, unless you have useful suggestions...:)
Sorry Bob if you think I sound annoyed, but people who waste time in a thread responding to someone who specifically asks for help, with comments that actually take me further away from the problem, become just as difficult as the problem itself:)

Collapse -
I see so little info on PC3.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: jeez bob...

That XP Pro could be a tipoff. Who installed it? Are the motherboard drivers current? Etc. I don't ask for this since the forum note does.

Why waste posts over this since the forum note asks?

Bob

Collapse -
by romar_alano / February 16, 2007 10:02 AM PST

GOOD DAY!try to change your crossover connection to straight through or the standard connection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?