Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP My Pictures Folder

by rositam / July 21, 2008 9:09 PM PDT

I am working on my sister's computer and trying to solve a problem - she has an Apollo 64 bit PC built to order ................with Windows XP operating system. When I try to open her MY Pictures Folder, it won't open and goes back to the desktop. If I go into the My Documents Folder - she has two folders in there that are My Pictures and Shortcut to My Pictures. If I try to open the My Pictures Folder, it cuts out and goes back to the desktop. However, I can open her Shortcut to My Pictures and then can access all her photos that are stores on Microsoft Photo Editor. Any ideas on how I can clean up this mess?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP My Pictures Folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP My Pictures Folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check Properties.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 21, 2008 9:17 PM PDT

When you use the Shortcut to My Pictures, what is the path shown in the explorer address bar? It should be something like;
C:\Documents and Settings\{User Name}\My Documents\My Pictures, where {User Name} is the name of the account logged into.

Check the Properties of both the My Pictures and Shortcut to My Pictures folders, (right click each folder, select Properties). Which one shows a Shortcut tab?

Does the My Pictures Properties list any files inside the folder?

Mark

Collapse -
Checked the info you requested
by rositam / July 21, 2008 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Check Properties.

OK - not sure where to find the explorer address when I open Shortcut to My Pics (sorry only a little savvy about computers) - I went into Properties and found C:\Documents and SEttings\User\My Documents.

Checked the Shortcut to Pictures Properties and it shows a setting for Shortcut Key (under the Shortcut Tab) and beside it is typed None. This one has a tab for General and Shortcut. When I went into Pictures I only have tabs for General and Sharing and nothing showing anything about shortcuts.

Checked My Pictures for files - it shows that the My Pictures Folder on its own has 445 files and 40 folders. And the My Pictures Folder that is within the My Documents Folder has the same.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again

Collapse -
You seem to be in the wrong account.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 22, 2008 2:54 AM PDT

That path, "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents" seems to be for an ordinary, (limited), User.

Do you not have an Administrator Account on this computer?

For your information, when you are in My Documents, or My Computer, or any other Windows Explorer type window, the Address bar is immediately above the listings of the files, and below the icons that are the Back, Forward, Up, Search, Folders and View icons. If you cannot see the address bar then goto View, (along the top), then Toolbars, and select Address bar.

Mark

Collapse -
Re User
by rositam / July 22, 2008 6:02 AM PDT

Checked the User Accounts - it shows that there is a Computer Administrator under User, amnd under Guest it shows Guest Account.

I did check re address as you said and still found nothing. Went into View and clicked Address - but it shows up on the right end of the bar as just Address with no info. Not sure what I'm doing wrong./

Tahnks for your help again

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 22, 2008 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re User

First things first, that single Administrator account.

I see this is a custom built account your sister has had done, and it seems there is only one main account. This will be XP's own System Administrator account. The Guest account can be discounted, (excuse the pun).

It is advisable for your sister to create a new Admin account with full privileges for her own use. The Administrator account will still be there, but if the system is set up to show a Welcome Screen when it is turned on, (booted up), that account will be hidden from view. Why do this? Accounts, (or User Profiles), can get corrupted, and if the only Administrator account becomes corrupted your sister will be unable to log in to Windows with Admin privileges. Having two full Admin accounts is a safeguard. If you set a password, be sure to remember it. perhaps write it down for now, but don't keep that piece of paper lying around and destroy it as soon as possible.

You can give the new account any name you like, (my own is Mark Flaxman), and when created it will also create a new My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, etc folders. Your sister, (or you), can then transfer any documents, photos, music, etc to the new My Documents folders as you both wish. I would 'copy' them first, rather than 'move' them. That way you can test that they all copied correctly, and only then delete the old files.

To transfer any files and settings to the new account I would, first of all, before creating the new account, use the FAST, (File and Settings Transfer), Wizard, to backup those files and settings from the old account to a convenient place on the hard drive to be imported into the new account when it is created. It is available from Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > File and Settings Transfer Wizard. Use Fast again to import these files and settings to the new account.

FAST is a powerful Windows tool, but it does not transfer passwords and usernames, eg internet logon details, (dialup), or email username and password. However there is a useful description of FAST at www.aumha.org, and this has very useful tips around this, as well as other good advice.

If you decide to use FAST I would not use it to backup then import the My Documents folder and sub-folders. Otherwise the problem with the My Pictures folder may transfer over.

By the way, that Address bar problem. The Address toolbar can be dragged across and down below the icons toolbar. If it does not move, go back to View and make sure the "Lock Toolbars" is not selected.

Mark

Collapse -
Opened new User Accounts but problem with Internet
by rositam / July 23, 2008 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for that.

OK - I opened up two new user accounts - one for my sister with administrative abilities and one for her husband with limited abilities. I haven't gone much further because when I go into use the internet on her user account, the internet won't connect. They use BT Broadband (in England) and have a Belkin Wireless USB Facility to connect this. It tells me there is no connection - if I switch users back to the Administrator User, it won't connect either. However, if I switch off the computer, start up again, go into the Administrator User Account, I can get connection! Confused!! Didn't want to do more transferring without sorting this out first.

Thanks for the info on the Address Bar, now I see what had happened and can get one!

Rosemary

Collapse -
I'd make the call to Belkin.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2008 1:04 AM PDT

Your story rings a bell about a Belkin issue where their installer installed the drivers in such a way that only that user had permissions to use the wifi. Belkin had to walk them through some arcane registry permission changes.

If this is unacceptable (making the call) then pack up the Belkin and go get something else.
Bob

Collapse -
FINALLY sorted out Belkin
by rositam / August 3, 2008 3:23 AM PDT

After a massive amount of work, I am now sorted out...lots of emails with Belkin, BT Broadband, etc.....I uninstalled and reinstalled the Belkin USB Utility and all 3 user accounts now have internet!!! Mind you, I discovered that on my own! So I have 3 user accounts and all the work is done as Mark requested. Where do I go to now regarding my original problem with My Pictures. Thank you so much

Collapse -
Ugg. Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2008 3:52 AM PDT

Belkin strikes out again. Why they think its acceptable to field such is beyond me.

Later I'll re-read this thread to give thoughts about the second issue.

Collapse -
Thanks, but one more question
by Flyerguy3 / February 1, 2011 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Check Properties.

Mark, I did as you suggested and I believe it has fixed the problem. However, I don't know how to go about finding and deleteing the suspected corrupted file. Can you help? Thanks. Richard

Collapse -
Corrupt files.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2011 4:48 AM PST

Not sure what your problem is as you don't give details, and burying your post in a 2 year old discussion, you were lucky I was just browsing around to see it.

If you have a corrupt image file which is crashing Explorer, then you need to change the way explorer displays the files from Icons or Thumbnails, to List or Details. That way explorer doesn't try to render them and doesn't trip over any corrupted file.

How do you find the file if one is corrupted? It's an elimination test and there are various ways to do it. But I would do it this way;

The 50/50 test.

1] Create a two new folders somewhere on the C drive, but not in the folder where the current images are.

2] Copy, (do not move), 50% of the images into the first the new folder and the other 50% into the other new folder.

3] Change the view options for the first new folder to Thumbnail or Icons.

If Explorer crashes, you know that there is a corrupted file in that 50%. If not, then do the same test to the 2nd new folder.

4] Whichever folder has the corrupted file, empty the other new folder, and then move 50% of the folder which has the corrupted file to the newly emptied folder. Test.

5] Keep doing that until you have just a few files left.

Mark

Collapse -
This is likely Explorer crashing. A well known issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2008 5:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Well done on the Belkin front.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 3, 2008 8:21 AM PDT

I agree with Bob about the My Pictures folder.

Windows Explorer, (which is what My Computer is, in effect), does this. If the folder with the images in is set to 'View' the pictures in Thumbnail or Filmstrip view, then Windows Explorer will fail if it comes across a corrupted image file.

The method to clear this is to identify the problem file and delete it, but there is the problem. How do you access the folder to identify the problem file, if Windows Explorer crashes each time you try to open that folder?

The trick is, to set Windows Explorer up so that each folder is set to Details view, or to List view. How I would do this;

1] Open My Computer and then open My Documents.

2] Change the View listing to List or Details. It may already be, but do so anyway using the View icon in the Icon bar above the Address bar.

3] Goto Tools > Folder Options, then click the View tab.

4] At the top there is the option to "Apply to All Folders", where the view for the current opened folder is applied to all folders. Click that, then Apply/OK.

5] Now try opening the My Pictures folder. If that works, all you have to do now is identify the corrupted file, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
And on to the next thing.............
by rositam / August 4, 2008 4:41 AM PDT

thanks, I did what you said and I can now open My Pictures - when I went in I found a large Scrap file that I deleted and it is now more stable. I also found 3 video clips. my sister downloaded her photos onto Microsoft Photo Editor and included in there are the 3 video clips. When I try to open them, etc everything freezes - so I am guessing this is the problem..................am I right to think this should be opened up in another program, do I move them, and where to?

Thanks

Yet Again!

Collapse -
"When I try to open them, etc everything freezes - so I am g
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2008 4:54 AM PDT

"When I try to open them, etc everything freezes - so I am guessing this is the problem"

If these can't be played or used, why keep them?

But try VLC PLAYER on those video files for a last chance.
Bob

Collapse -
Tried but..................
by rositam / August 7, 2008 2:55 AM PDT

I tried the VCL player etc................finally, took the camera card into the computer shop - it's not corrupted, neither are the videos taken on the camera. He was able to download all the photos and the videos and play all of them with Windows Media .no problem. I put these videos on a CD and also tried to play them back. NO luck. So the videos are fine, the camera card is fine............but they will not work on the computer. Is there something I missed? Again, I am only an amateur trying to work my way through this!! We do want to try to keep them - they have pics of my sister's holiday trip to Canada.

Collapse -
AHH!!! THERE'S the BIG CLUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 3:07 AM PDT

I have a HP camera that will tank Explore UNLESS we install HP's "CODEC."

If you could share the make and model of the camera that made these someone might note where the CODEC or software is. At worst you need to install the CD that came with the camera.
Bob

Collapse -
Digital Camera details
by rositam / August 7, 2008 8:55 PM PDT

`The Camera is a ViviCam 8320 made by Vivitar ..........did try to install the CD incase she had not done it before but it won't install------checked and the software had been downloaded for this camera already. Thanks, again.

Collapse -
Ask in our Digital Camera Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 9:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Digital Camera details

But it's a known issue now and we know what it is. It's the Codec that is needed for this camera's content.

Collapse -
Still wondering.......?
by rositam / August 14, 2008 3:03 AM PDT

I went to the camera forum but have had no replies............but in the meanwhile, someone brought over a CD of their photos from a holiday trip. When we try to view a picture slide in Windows Viewer - it is sticking again. Won't advance past the first picture. If we solved all the problems with My PHotos, Windows XP etc - then why is this still happening. I know it was with a video before from the ~Vivitar Camera but now this is from someone else's camera?

Collapse -
Explorer is rather a pain about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2008 4:54 AM PDT

The problem I have here is that the camera doesn't reveal which CODEC I'd need to find. As such this is a WARRANTY issue with the cameras in question.

HOWEVER you can try VLC PLAYER to view the video as well as IRFANVIEW for other images that EXPLORER will crash on.

Sorry but Microsoft seems to be asleep at the wheel on this one.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?