General discussion

Windows XP Mode - Driver won't delete on restart

Wondering if anybody can help me?

I am using Windows XP Mode within Windows 7 Professional. I have been trying to de-install and then reinstall some software (ProTools 7.3, though this is probably not relevant to my question).

When I go to reinstall the software, I get a message saying "A restart is needed before this installer can proceed because the DigiFilter driver is currently marked for deletion upon restart."

When I exit XP Mode (goes in to hibernation) and then completely shut down and restart under Windows 7, I still get this message upon trying to reinstall the software.

I have manually located the drivers and deleted them, but the message still continues.

Is anybody able to give me some guidance on how to stop this message coming up (I guess clearing the marked for deletion files)?

Many Thanks in advance.

Andrew.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows XP Mode - Driver won't delete on restart
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows XP Mode - Driver won't delete on restart
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Your other posts
- Collapse -
Let's see what you wrote.

"When I exit XP Mode (goes in to hibernation) and then completely shut down and restart under Windows 7, I still get this message upon trying to reinstall the software."

Since the (virtual) XP Mode machine never restarted it is behaving just like a real XP machine.

I suggest you restart the virtual XP mode machine rather than hibernate it.
Bob

- Collapse -
Restart XP Mode

Thanks Bob. Yes, I suspect you are right. However, within XP Mode there only seems to be the option to a) START>Logoff or b) Close the XP Mode screen with the "X" in the top right hand corner, which puts the XP Mode in to hibernation as described.
Any ideas how to restart the virtual XP mode?

- Collapse -
Let me check. (I have XP mode here too.)

There's the Ctrl-Alt-Delete in the XP Mode controls. I used that and it is shutting down and installing updates. I'll have to wait awhile for the next step.
Bob

- Collapse -
Ctrl-Alt-Delete button

Thanks so much Bob, I think thats it. I was pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the keys in XP Mode, and it was taking me back out to Windows 7. I didn't see the Ctrl-Alt-Delete in the XP Mode controls. I will try tonight. Really appreciate your help. Thank you.

- Collapse -
Problem Solved

Yep... all working now. Thanks again for your assistance.
Andrew.

- Collapse -
Glad it helped.

Sorry that I didn't have the complete answer but it takes two minutes for it to shutdown and restart. I was in a rush to get going but had time to check out exactly how and where this feature was in my machine.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info