HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Media Center

by cent21 guy / January 21, 2006 12:00 AM PST

I have a Gateway Media Center computer running Media Center OS. I can record TV programs to my hard drive with Media Center. I would like to be able to edit these files to eliminate commercials and record to a DVD that I can play on my TV/DVD player.
Gateway provided Pinnacle Studio 8 with the system. Pinnacle says that Media Center and Studio 8 are not compatible.
I cannot open the Media Center recorded files(dvr-ms) with Studio 8. Pinnacle's solution is to buy a Studio10 version. Not sure I want to do that based on my current experience.
How can I edit the existing dvr-ms files and burn to a dvd that will play on my TV?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Media Center
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Media Center
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
editing dvr files
by glennlee / January 21, 2006 2:40 AM PST

I have an HP MCE xp computer that came with Showbiz DVD 2. This software allows me to ''transcode'' TV programs saved in the dvr-ms files to standard mpg2 files, and then edit these files (to remove those nasty commercials) and then author a dvd that plays on stand alone dvd players. It does this without a hitch. It is also very good for editing your camcorder video placing scrolling titles, inserting professional quality transitions between scenes, allowing chapter breakup of your material. It also allows producing slide shows of your photos with background music and professional ''panning'' which gives the illusion of video motion on stills. As with all video software however, you should have a fast cpu and a big fast hard disk. You can get it here for $45 online:

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=711482

Collapse -
Thank you
by cent21 guy / January 21, 2006 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: editing dvr files

Thanks for the quick response.
I'll give it a try.

Collapse -
editing dvr
by cent21 guy / January 25, 2006 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: editing dvr files

I Posted a message yesterday but I don't see it. If this is a dupe please overlook.
I downloaded a 15 day demo copy of Arcsoft's Showbiz 2. It seems to do all you mentioned with the dvr files. However, I can't find how to cut the commercials out of my recorded TV. The help function doesn't say much in detail. Does the purchased product have full help fuctionality or a complete operations manual??

Arcsoft isn't to responsive.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Disregard last message
by cent21 guy / January 26, 2006 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: editing dvr

Please disregard my last message. I found the instruction manual on the website. Haven't tried it yet, but I think I've got it.

Collapse -
using Showbiz
by glennlee / January 26, 2006 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Disregard last message

Here are some hints on using Showbiz to edit dvr files. After you import the file into Showbiz, it will be ''transcoded'' to the mpeg2 format ready for editing. Drag and drop the mpeg file to the editing line on your first scene position. Now right click on the file and choose copy. That will put the entire file into the clipboard. Now paste the file into the next six or seven scene spots on the edit line. Go back to your first scene drop and run through the entire program (movie) noting the start of the next scene after each commercial. That will give you an important index of all the start points of your scenes. Now you are ready to set start and end points on all your scenes starting just after the last commercial and before the next. Use the slider to fast scan through the content. Once you have set start and end points eliminating all the commercials, each scene will be program (movie) content only, and they will be sequentially located on the editing line of scenes. Now choose ''create'' dvd. With a blank in your burner, select smart rendering from your options for any program less than 1 1/2 hrs. For up to 2hrs, select 3bps. Select a title for your movie when prompted and save your project before writing so you can go back and correct boo boos. Hit the write button and sit back and wait. It takes about about 1 1/2 hours to render dvd with the smart mode and longer with the 3bps mode chosen. The dvd should play on any modern dvd player at near commercial dvd quality. Enjoy. Let us know if you are successful.

Collapse -
Showbiz
by cent21 guy / January 26, 2006 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: using Showbiz

Thanks again for the details. I was able to create a commercial free movie using the downloaded intruction manual from the ArcSoft website. It suggested using the timeline rather than the storybook. I would like to try your suggestion. It looks fairly straight forward. Thanks again.
I had several copies of my program and was more experimenting w/o deleting. Once I clean out the junk stuff and burn my first DVD, I'll let you know.
Thanks again..

Collapse -
videoredo
by jimichan / February 4, 2006 1:02 PM PST

I tried the trial period and it worked really well, so I bought it! It automatically detects the commercials, then you can take them out in only a few minutes.

Collapse -
Videoredo
by cent21 guy / February 6, 2006 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: videoredo

Based on your post, I downloaded the Videoredo also. It works great. The ad detective does all I want to do.

Thanks for getting this post in time before I had to make a decision.
Unfortunately, it still requires authoring software to create the DVD. I used my demo copy of Showbiz to burn the DVD.

The Videoredo website listed a couple freeware programs for burning the DVD. Any suggestions there??

Collapse -
compare the packages here
by glennlee / February 7, 2006 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Videoredo
Collapse -
Updated Info
by dangelow / March 2, 2006 11:08 PM PST

Great post and thanks for all the info!!

Quick question - I am just getting MC set-up this weekend and have a new 3Ghz, 512MB, 200HDD system on the way.

Plans are to use a external DVD Burner I have from HP via USB 2.0 to burn.

Would you let me know which additional S/W I may need and if there is any updated opinions?

I read the link to PC World but that is a 2003 article and the world changes so fast I'd like to be current.

Collapse -
Update
by cent21 guy / March 3, 2006 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Updated Info

I responded to the post re: PCWorld 2003 reviews also, but I don't see it anywhere.

What I found was VideoRedo a great product to convert dvr-ms files to mpg files for DVD's. (recording and editing TV progs.) I couldn't find anything that I thought was convincing about the freeware they identified.
I used Showbiz to write the converted files to DVD. It worked great.
You can get Showbiz for about $49.00 as a student/teaching version if you qualify. It has other functions as well, but I have not yet got a chance to use them.
For $100 I got both Showbiz and VideoRedo.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
video editing and burning software
by glennlee / March 3, 2006 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: Updated Info

There are many excellent video editing software packages out there and most require a somewhat steep learning curve. Learning takes time and patience to gain understanding of the whole editing and writing process, but experience (errors, coasters) is the price of admission. One of the most critical issues is whether the computer system and the software interface without any glitches. My system (HP XP MCE) came equipped with a full functioning video editing program Showbiz DVD 2, and has functioned flawlessly in writing dvd's that work without a hitch on free standing dvd players. There are good editing features with the ability to produce ''video clips'' from your raw material editing out unwanted material, and sequentially ordering the clips with a selection nice transitions, title and menu features before commiting to dvd disc. Another excellent feature is the ability to produce excellent dvd slide shows of your picture stills, with choice of transitions, pans and zooms, background music.

If your material is captured TV programs (movies, documentaries) from the recording in MCE with it's Tivo like TV recording facilities you will have to process dvr-ms files which are a specialized form of mpeg2. Showbiz handles these files by ''transcoding'' them to standard mpeg2 format before processing. Editing out the unwanted commercials is a process of selecting out video clips of the program material, excluding the commercials, as I have described above in a previous post. VideoRedo is a software package designed to automate this process in a much less painful way. It will also recognize dvr-ms files directly (if you configure it to do so) and then can scan the video placing markers where is finds ''fades to black'' which allows finding and marking commercial breaks an easy timeline process. An editing window and convenient scanning controls allows you to confirm exact commercial start and stop points. Once marked for exclusion, the commercials are omitted from the standard mpeg2 file saved for processing by an authoring package such as Showbiz. I have used VideoRedo to edit out commercials, and edit dv footage taken with a camcorder and find it makes editing a much easier process. I can highly recommend this software: it is worth every penny of it's modest cost. Thank you Jimmi Chan for posting a recommendation in the first place.

The long and short of my recommendation: get an editing, burning package that you are comfortable with, and that meets your needs, and matches your system. Most new MCE computers are equipped with dvd writers that are automatically recognized by most commercial software packages. You can get most of these packages online (use Google) by downloading a trial package, use it to find out if it suits your needs, then buy it when you have made your selection. Your tastes, and equipment will determine what is best for you. Good luck. Video editing, and personal dvd authoring is both fun and rewarding!

Collapse -
VideoReDo Is Great for My TiVo To Go Files
by bigbearmel / March 21, 2006 1:54 AM PST

I saw your comments and just wanted to say VideoReDo works great on my TiVo To Go Files!!!

Thanks for posting

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.