HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Logging In and Being Blank

by StuntF50 / May 16, 2009 11:47 PM PDT

This is very weird, it just started recently happening. I have two accounts on my computer, my account, and a guest account. My account works. However, when I log on to the guest account (which my other family members use), it just shows the background and no taskbar or desktop or nothing, just the background of the guest user and the thing just keeps loading until you need to turn off the computer.

I've left it there for over an hour loading. So I tried created a account titled Family for everyone else but it's the same thing. What's the problem here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Logging In and Being Blank
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Logging In and Being Blank
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Microsoft documents what to do next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 11:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
If I may just add.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 17, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

If you only have one Administrator account set up for this computer, what would happen if that account became corrupted in some way? How would you recover from that?

The Microsoft link Bob gave you shows that there is a contingency plan for this, so it is something that happens.

Perhaps something you need to think about.

Mark

Collapse -
Huh?
by StuntF50 / May 17, 2009 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: If I may just add.

I'm sorry but I really don't see how any of this helps.

Collapse -
How it helps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2009 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Huh?

I offered the article so you are ready to get your files over to the new account and to share that Microsoft does not offer a fix for this issue.

If you don't see it then you could at least SAVE BIG BUCKS by printing out the article for use by your local support. It saves money since they know what to do without having to do the research.
Bob

Collapse -
Re
by StuntF50 / May 17, 2009 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: How it helps.

What new account?

All I said was I couldn't log into the guest account because it would just show the background and never load the desktop or taskbar. I don't need to transfer any files, I just need to get the guest account working again because it just stopped out of no where.

And no other account works, even when I created a brand new one, besides my own.

Collapse -
Since no files need saving.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2009 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Re

Why not delete that account and then create it anew?

Sorry if I offered the OVERKILL of information article but it is a VERY WELL KNOWN ISSUE and one that Microsoft admits to.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.