Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Windows XP & Ipod: Service Pack 2 required or recommended??

by wwjcd / February 5, 2006 2:54 AM PST

The Apple website lists Windows XP ''WITH SERVICE PACK 2'' as a system requirement for their Ipod Nano. Should I avoid buying an ipod if I don't have service pack 2? I know it can be downloaded for free from windows, but let's pretend that I can't install this update (for whatever reason). Can I still connect an ipod to my computer without this windows update?

Thanks for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP & Ipod: Service Pack 2 required or recommended??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP & Ipod: Service Pack 2 required or recommended??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I found.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 4:40 AM PST

The USB 2.0 drives at the office could not run CHKDSK on them until SP2. It appears that Microsoft fixed some USB 2.0 items in SP2 but didn't document it clearly. I haven't found a note about what they fixed, but we could tell.

Bob

Collapse -
USB 2.0 items in SP2
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: What I found.

The changes MS made may have dealt with the inability of XP to map a removable drive if the next available letter after the "hard wired" devices, was taken.
ie. 1 Floppy, 2 internal HD and 2 internal Optical. A, C, D, E & F taken. If you already have "G" mapped to a network drive, then when a removable device like the iPod or a Flash drive was inserted, it would not be assigned a drive letter and would not mount.
Under W2K, a removable drive would be assigned the next available drive letter, in this case "H", no matter where it was located in the alphabet.
MS changed the order, in SP 2, that a removable drive was assigned a drive letter and offered a work around but not a fix.

297694 is the article but I don't know if it would apply in this case

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.